Grey 81 with no miles.. rare?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Grey 81 with no miles.. rare?

Post by wyly »

I see your canundrum....if I was in your position I'd ride it, the amount of money I'd gain from the sale wouldn't make a difference in my life financially and any profit could quickly be eaten up by repair costs on it's replacement.

I know four other owners who have purchased "good" runners and all of them will have spent considerable time effort and cash getting them to actually run well. You could get lucky and find one that's as good as a seller claims or it could need a carb cleaning/rebuild and or valve work and or rings/cylinder hone / bore/pistons....a used cbx can be a money pit...the best guaranty of getting very good runner cbx is buying a rebuild from Tim's, Louis, Bert at SCM or Dave and then you'll likely have spent as much as you're going to make of the sale of your bike.

just my opinion...

it seems as soon you add the X to the end of Honda CB parts prices escalate, maybe CB$ would be a more appropriate name...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Rocker81
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Rocker81 »

I agree totally.. I'll ride it and enjoy it. Don't worry it will remain in pristine condition.. Thanks for all your comments appreciate it.

:text-thankyouyellow:
PAST:
75 Kaw 900 Z1 drag and street bike
82 Kaw GPZ 1100
85 HD Low rider (1st Hawg)
83 Kaw GPZ 750 Turbo
93 Kaw ZX1100
96 HD Standard Bagger, 96" Stroker with Nitrous 125 hp
02 BMW K1200LTC
04 Triumph Rocket III 140 hp
05 Triumph Rocket III Classic
09 HD Standard now custom Street Glide
10 Triumph Bonneville Café Type
NOW:
2018 HD Road Glide Special
79 Honda GW 1000 naked museum bike.
81 Honda CBX had Zero Miles, in storage since new, serviced and am now riding, and loving it.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

daves79x wrote:Thanks for the good explanation - I knew you had more experience with school bikes than anyone. I think some 400 Hawks also got donated, maybe even the automatic versions.

Dave
Dave, You are correct I remember getting 3 or 4 Honda automatics one time with some cbxs I got from a school.

IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by IOWACBXER »

I have owned several 81 CBX School Bikes purchased in various conditions from pristine to vandalized. Even owned a couple of CX650T school bikes. Back in the day I would title them and ride. Each one was checked over and I never had a problem with the ones that I put on the road. These days, I would keep a resell the pristine bike and purchase a good rider with the proceeds.
John Janosik ICOA 4247 S.E. Iowa

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”