Lost Illinois Title - Makes me sick

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
rwahlfeldt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Lost Illinois Title - Makes me sick

Post by rwahlfeldt »

I have a 1979 CBX without a title. In 1989 I traded it to a friend of mine for a sailboat. I recently traded back for the CBX, but he could not find the title. Long story short, the state of Illinois does not keep VIN numbers that old and I cannot get a title for it. What do I do now? I cannot license it or sell it without a title. This makes me sick. Can I sell it for parts?

surftalks
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Lost Illinois Title - Makes me sick

Post by surftalks »

I'm interested Randy. I'm in Ohio, so I'd have to figure a way to get it.

following up to you by email.

Craig

rwahlfeldt wrote:I have a 1979 CBX without a title. In 1989 I traded it to a friend of mine for a sailboat. I recently traded back for the CBX, but he could not find the title. Long story short, the state of Illinois does not keep VIN numbers that old and I cannot get a title for it. What do I do now? I cannot license it or sell it without a title. This makes me sick. Can I sell it for parts?

Sent from my XT1049 Using ForumTouch for Android

ICOA #5762
ICOA Membership Director
ICOA Membership Director

Post by ICOA #5762 »

rwhlfeldt:

I am unsure about Illinois laws, but in Kansas if a motorcycle is over 35 years old all you need is a bill of sale from the owner and to have the police confirm the VIN. Take the bill of sale to the Illinois DMV and see what happens. Keep us informed.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

In Illinois you are screwed unless you chance it and get a bonded title. It is a crap shoot. You pay 3-4 hundred to get it bonded but it is not a sure thing. This bike is going to be a good donor to keep some of the other ones in need of parts going that has a title. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You could get a Vermont title for something like $100, then transfer to whatever state you like. This is a damn shame.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

NobleHops wrote:You could get a Vermont title for something like $100, then transfer to whatever state you like. This is a damn shame.
I guess then these other bikes that need parts that has titles would just sit there till the owner would just trash them. Oh yes buy parts from Louis but I wander where he got his parts. That bike needs a complete restore and needs a bunch of parts just to get it running and looking decent.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

tevan wrote:
NobleHops wrote:You could get a Vermont title for something like $100, then transfer to whatever state you like. This is a damn shame.
I guess then these other bikes that need parts that has titles would just sit there till the owner would just trash them. Oh yes buy parts from Louis but I wander where he got his parts. That bike needs a complete restore and needs a bunch of parts just to get it running and looking decent.
Terry, you know I don't have any angst about parting out bikes. Mine would be immobile without parts from you and Louis and a half dozen other guys. Just seems a shame that he felt he had to give up on the bike just because of that.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

My sentiments exactly Nils - no surprise I suppose! It does cost quite a bit these days to get a title - not the $100 or so of 10 years ago. Title states are getting even more restrictive and in no-title states, anything goes. You guys in no-title states don't know how lucky you have it. Seems Illinois puts you in a real box - titles do get lost, but since they don't keep records that far back, no way to trace the serial number back to the title holder. They should make some exception for that, and according to Terry, they MIGHT, but no guarantee.

If it was my bike, I'd do whatever it took to get a title, but I understand taking this route also.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I understand the requirement for titles protecting all of us from theft and buying stolen property but how it's done is inconsistent and not well thought out.

Here in Alberta all I need to register a bike is a bill of sale from the owner or anyone who claims to be the owner, it could have been stolen it and I wouldn't know. I think there maybe age requirement for the untitled vehicle, my next application for registration will be for a 84 GS.

The onus is on me alone to verify the person I purchase the bike from is the actual owner and possible stolen property charges, losing the cash paid and the bike, if the seller was not the titled owner.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

rwahlfeldt wrote:I have a 1979 CBX without a title. In 1989 I traded it to a friend of mine for a sailboat. I recently traded back for the CBX, but he could not find the title. Long story short, the state of Illinois does not keep VIN numbers that old and I cannot get a title for it. What do I do now? I cannot license it or sell it without a title. This makes me sick. Can I sell it for parts?
While I do suspect the state of Illinois does have a way to title this CBX, there are alternatives but they may cost more plus transfer taxes and such other things.
You might try:
https://www.getnewtitle.com/
http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html (I believe this does go thru Vermont)
Or just declare the title lost and go to: http://www.dmv.org/articles/how-to-repl ... cle-title/

Hopefully one of the above sites will provide the pathway to what you want without costing more than several hundred dollars.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

demoderbydave
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by demoderbydave »

I bought my next project (82 CBX) without a title or paperwork. You do not have to be a resident of Vermont to register a vehicle there. AS LONG AS the vin # isnt wanted by someone (i had that checked before I bought it) Vermont SHOULD take it. IF i recall correctly it was 43.00 for the plate, (no insurance is required) and you pay sales tax on NADA "GOOD" value. A couple of weeks later a shiny new Vermont plate/registration showed up. I never plan to ride it on that plate...I just need the registration to apply for a registration in Massachusetts. It worked for me! 8)
I am a GLUTTON for PUNISHMENT...I have a 01 Goldwing 1800A, 76 Suzuki GT-750 (almost finished) 84 Honda VT-500 Ascot (someday project) 72 Honda CT-70 (project) and my most ambitious project to date...my poor neglected 82 CBX that was left to rot... it WILL live again or KILL ME in the process... :sad-roulette:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”