Tach cable broke twice... hrm. Feedback?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tach cable broke twice... hrm. Feedback?

Post by RJ CB650 »

Well, I am wondering if it got re-connected wrong after the tree got replaced. Anyways, I have broken the cable twice now for the Tach. First time, I figured was because was original cable and worn. It broke right at the neck of the fitting that goes into the valve cover. I could not get an assembly in any reasonable time so I put a new cable into the existing sleeve and it broke at the exact same spot.

I think I know what it potentially could be. The cable housing doesn't seem to lock down tight when tightened on allowing the housing to wiggle. If this creates a kink, well that could explain it. So it should have that seal that fits inside the threaded coupling correct? I wonder if it initially got put on wrong and damaged the fitting seat so it isn't seating correctly. How should that cable seat? Should it be secure or should there be play at the sheathe?

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tach cable broke twice... hrm. Feedback?

Post by cross »

I don't think that there should be any play. Check the manual to see if the cable is routed properly and also, remove the whole thing and inspect the sleeve as well.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

cross wrote:I don't think that there should be any play. Check the manual to see if the cable is routed properly and also, remove the whole thing and inspect the sleeve as well.
Couldnt find it in service manual. Will need to check the owners handbook. am pretty sure the fitting isnt right so probably will order a new honda one and at least compare that way.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Does it break as soon you turn the engine on? If not, do you see tach move?
I just checked in my bike and it only has slight barely visible movement.
Cable should go through the cable routing ring that's on the bottom tripple tree, than between lower and upper tripple tree from the engine towards the front of the bike and straight up into the tach.
Here are the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”