CBX's In Estate Auction - Peterborough, Ontario

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: CBX's In Estate Auction - Peterborough, Ontario

Post by daves79x »

Amen to that. I'm not that old and have pared the collection down to my original '79 CBX, the GL1800, an original '72 H2 and a '59 BMW R50 undergoing a complete restoration. You just can't do justice and keep a lot of bikes in perfect running condition. I was 'forcing' myself to have to get some of them out and ride them each year to keep them functional. And I haven't had the CBX out in 2 years.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

That is tough. Makes me glad that when it comes to vehicles, I know what I want and each has a use. CBX I use weekend and nice days. Nighthawk when I want to bomb around city and the Tiger is my daily rider.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I've met someone locally who has six cbx and another ten of various makes. With our short riding season I doubt many actually see road time.

For now the CBX is my daily driver until I get the GS completed hopefully in 5-6weeks. I'm content with my three bikes for now but I should sell my Maico to someone who'll actually use it. And replace the Maico with a Ducati Full Throttle for my daily grocery runs.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

cbx4evr wrote:
toybldr wrote:"Mr. Bateman was meticulous with his prised possessions."
Apparently these CBXs weren't prized

Too many toys. Something has to suffer. He got old. It happens.
Isn't that the truth. We're in the process of "thinning the herd" as my wife calls it. Trimming back to the bikes that actually get ridden and a few "keepers" that have sentimental value.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

It always makes me feel a little bad at the people who hoard vehicles. Even worse when they rot. I am am member of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group. Not sure who else is, but last month they did an article on a cache of eight brough superiors that went for sale in england. It was a case of the ol guy buys em, then hoards em cause they are worth money. Not maintaining, just parked as the market goes up. Anybody trying to buy quickly turned away.

Well, they went up at an estate sale. Good for nothing but a few remaining scrap parts and the rest beyond any restorable condition.

Warning! The following images are disturbing!

http://thevintagent.blogspot.ca/2015/12 ... hoard.html

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Just joined the CVMG yesterday!

with some collectors they have good intentions and plan to do the restorations someday but never get around to it...others are like one of my brothers, a hoarder...I've been trying for years to get him to give/sell me his mid 70s RD250 and he won't even discuss it, it just sits in his barn decade after decade covered in pigeon crap, a home for mice. 31kms original on the odometer and half of those I did on his driveway...he doesn't even ride motorcycles and has never had a license, it's irrational behaviour. Unlike another brother who in ill health gave me his 440Maico and GS1150, he wanted to see them restored and ridden and wasn't able to do it himself.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

wyly wrote:Just joined the CVMG yesterday!

with some collectors they have good intentions and plan to do the restorations someday but never get around to it...others are like one of my brothers, a hoarder...I've been trying for years to get him to give/sell me his mid 70s RD250 and he won't even discuss it, it just sits in his barn decade after decade covered in pigeon crap, a home for mice. 31kms original on the odometer and half of those I did on his driveway...he doesn't even ride motorcycles and has never had a license, it's irrational behaviour. Unlike another brother who in ill health gave me his 440Maico and GS1150, he wanted to see them restored and ridden and wasn't able to do it himself.
I am not immune to that, of sorts. I have three that could be considered "hoard" cars but not the, they are collectible and someday will get to them sense. One is my acadian, which was my first car and it got hit. I would rather scrap it than sell it to somebody who will use it for beater racing if I cannot get it fixed. So in that sense, it being parked for the past couple years is just how it is. It would already be recycled steel anyways. Second is my VR6 VW. But that is because of engine troubles and need to pull the head, but it is parked in a climate controlled garage and kept dusted and cleaned. Last is a Sunbird GT, but I do use that. Won't sell because it already has rust and IMO, unless somebody wants to strip down restore it, I would not want to sell it to somebody else.

But everything I bought, I have the plan before I get it. The CBX and my nighthawk. Clear goals and plans of what they need, not some vision of the end. Realism is the key. Is why I would be interested in those two. I have a friend who would easily fix up that touring 79 in a heartbeat and ride it probably every day. The 82? Well, I would probably put it beside mine and figure out which is better overall. One I would keep stock, the other I would pull the touring gear off. Most likely the one I have now would lose the touring gear. I love the lines of the Pro links without the luggage and fairing. Only reason I have not done that with mine really is the wiring mess it would create with the fairing delete. Actually it wouldn't be to hard for me to make a new harness to replace with a non or reduced fairing, but the light bracket install would be the pain to make it a reversible conversion.

toybldr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by toybldr »

I attended the sale and bikes were as found, bird poop and all. I believe the 82 sold for 3800 and the 79 for 4750. add another 10% for buyers fees and 13% to the tax man. both had nos tanks included but the 79 tank was dented.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Wow, that is more than i was expecting.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Wow, that is more than i was expecting.
maybe we CBX owners aren't appreciating the true value of our toys. We hear of someone buying a CBX at a bargain price and we think that's the normal value but perhaps 4-5k is a deal? The people who supply our parts certainly charge us a premium for those parts, I think they understand the value of the cbx better than we do.

I had my Z appraised by a professional motorcycle appraiser last fall and I was really shocked at his high evaluation of $12,300 usd, I expected 9 or 10K at very most. Another local cbx owner who was dismissive of my evaluation told me he sold his '79 for much less and his Z was in much better condition than mine AND "red"as well :roll:(I believe the highest price ever was for a silver but whatever floats his boat) . So is my Z actually overvalued or did he virtually give his away? I occasionally check the prices for rebuilt Z's prices at Six Center or Tim's, they typically range from 12-18K usd dependent on level of originality, restoration, modifications, millage. Based on those asking prices my Z's evaluation isn't out of line at all. Imo anyone who finds a good running and reasonably complete Z for $6-8K has got a bargain.
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Silver »

I went to the auction with the intention of bidding up to $3500. It was a surprise to see it sold for $4750 + +. Guess my 79 is worth more than I thought.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

According To Hagerty, a show worthy CBX in "Pristine" condition is worth $12,000.00
I beg to differ with them.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

FalldownPhil wrote:According To Hagerty, a show worthy CBX in "Pristine" condition is worth $12,000.00
I beg to differ with them.
Best,
Phil
they're selling for more so Hagerty is out touch. And as long as salvage yards keep wreaking and parting them out the value can only continue to increase.

jackstraw
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by jackstraw »

RJ CB650 wrote:It always makes me feel a little bad at the people who hoard vehicles. Even worse when they rot. I am am member of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group. Not sure who else is, but last month they did an article on a cache of eight brough superiors that went for sale in england. It was a case of the ol guy buys em, then hoards em cause they are worth money. Not maintaining, just parked as the market goes up. Anybody trying to buy quickly turned away.

Well, they went up at an estate sale. Good for nothing but a few remaining scrap parts and the rest beyond any restorable condition.

Warning! The following images are disturbing!

http://thevintagent.blogspot.ca/2015/12 ... hoard.html
An interesting choice of bike to give as an example - RJ CB650
I happened to see the Bodmin Brough Collection at the bike show in London in February and what a pile of shite it looked too. Much more rust than metal, pretty much non existent in places.
Someone thought differently - the collection of 8 bikes sold for £750,000 - that's over a million US dollars

The highest - which was not in much better condition than the rest went for over £300k!

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

when some are restored are they still really Brough's? how much of the original can actually be salvageable there's more rust than metal.

I can't imagine trying to source parts for a Brough.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”