Oldest Production CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oldest Production CBX

Post by FalldownPhil »

To the best of my knowledge (could be iffy) the oldest (lowest VIN number) CBX is owned by Rick Hardwick in California. It was purchased from a dealership in Fresno, CA.
Rick is the second owner of the bike and it has been to several Morro Bay CBX Rallies and to The Rock Store to be photographed by Ian Foster. It is a beautiful Perseus Silver with original paint.
The VIN number of this bike is 000044. I believe that regular production started with VIN# 000042 and the the whereabouts of 42 & 43 are unknown. If I am mistaken in any of this, please correct me.
Very Best,
Phil

It can be found at the top of page 37 in The CBX Book II
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Oldest Production CBX

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Phil, do you know the first owner.
It would be interesting to know about the original purchase.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Hi Steve,
I do not know the original owner but I believe that Rick Hardwick was good friends with him. Rick purchased it from the original owner and if
the 1st owner is still around, I am sure that Rick is still in contact with him. I just received an email from Rick yesterday saying that he was sorry that he
would not be able to make it to a little meet and greet for Ian Foster this weekend at The Rock Store and then on to see my friend Daniel Schoenewald's
motorcycle collection in Camarillo, CA. Information on the original purchase can be found in The CBX Book II. Page 37 of the book will direct you to more
photos of the bike along with the original title,date of purchase, name of the dealership, and a few other tidbits on another page. It is actually a few pages
past the page number in the book. I am sure that you could talk to Rick if you would like. He is a very nice guy. I am going to post a photo of the bike here.
Very Best,
Phil

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I believe you are correct, Phil. On a related note, rumor has it that the owner of Rick's Tricks, of smoothbore carb fame in Indiana, has a pre-production sandcast CBX. I do not believe Ian has any info on that bike in either of his books. Rick Pope, I believe, has seen the bike. Other pre-production bikes can be read about in the books, but they are the ultimate in collectible CBXs.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:I believe you are correct, Phil. On a related note, rumor has it that the owner of Rick's Tricks, of smoothbore carb fame in Indiana, has a pre-production sandcast CBX. I do not believe Ian has any info on that bike in either of his books. Rick Pope, I believe, has seen the bike. Other pre-production bikes can be read about in the books, but they are the ultimate in collectible CBXs.

Dave
As of 2011 Rick could be contacted at http://www.cycleoutfitters.com, he screens all of his calls and afternoons are best, Ask for Rick Chupp.
Man how time flies!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Rick Pope was trying to arrange a visit to Mr. Chupp's place for a Winter meet to see his collection. After an initial response, he received no further replies to his notes. ????!!!!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I have spoken to Rick a few times by phone. The man knows his CBX's !!
Best,
Phil

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”