CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Shiny too. However the stock 120 mains are too big for the Lump. Whilst it runs and revs out cleanly it is misting and spitting and way too rich. I could spend hours playing with the needles and slow jets and still not get it right so I will just order a set of 118 main jets and 68 slow jets which was what ran best with my last CR's and then take it over to a dyno in the Mount where I have been generously offered the use of the brake for a day for $100, to do the fine tuning.

Roly found the 120 mains too big for his bikes too. They are hardly likely to be any better on a street bike with air filters.

The big news is that we are working on putting together a deal to live stream the National Championship races that we will be hosting at Mac Park in October. Its early days and subject to the usual uncertainties that we are learning to live with but it could mean ICOA members might be able to watch the Lump in action against the top Period 5 Unlimited bikes - mainly CB1100R's, Katanas, XR69's and TZ750's and unlike the Lump, nearly all high priced replicas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Very nice - can't wait for a ride report!

That throttle linkage with idle control is pretty rad.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

$100.00 for a day on the dyno?
You have some excellent friends.

Actually seeing the race would be great. Hope that works out.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yes, I hope we can pull it off.
Speaking of pulling things off, I nearly lost my head yesterday. Quite literally. I was on the tractor moving some sand for the garden and accidentally knocked it out of gear on a steep hill, completely missed the brake pedal as we plunged down the slope into a grove of wattles.

The roll over protection bar jammed on a higher branch and brought proceedings to a halt but not before my chest had hit a 6" thick branch which partially snapped but ended up under tension pressing up against my epiglottis pinning me to my seat. Nearly an hour of wriggling and writhing and I managed to get the thing started and back out slowly in low range. That is the third time in my life that I've nearly killed myself on a tractor. Tractors are a lot more dangerous than racing bikes, at least in my experience so far.

Roly has promised to send me a box of jets to play with on the dyno which is great and I will probably need a full day because there are so many combinations. I will take it out to the track on the w/e and do a plug chop first so that I have some idea of the direction in which to head with the jets when we get it onto the brake. Its just a pity the whole bank has to come off to change the jets. I can get at the needles just by removing the tank and lifting the top caps off the carbs but the main and slow jets have to be replaced on the bench. That is not such a problem on a single or even a four cylinder but is a right royal pain on a six.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

So, are "wattles" the stuff wombats are hiding in?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

No EMS, wombats live in holes in the ground. Numbats live in Wando Woodland and not much at all lives in wattles. They are an acacia with over 1000 species in Oz alone where they proliferate in poor, sandy soils.

In spring their copious yellow flowers and overwhelming honey scent have become symbolised in the green and gold of the Oz national colours. The expression 'blood on the wattle' has come to symbolise all the idiotic wars Oz has found itself fighting on behalf of (mostly) fair weather friends and allies.

Their sap was used extensively in the tanning industry in colonial times and the original Australians made damper (a sort of bread) from the ground up seeds.

Wattles are malicious specimens of our flora in the sense that they grow quickly like weeds, burst into flames with reckless abandon if not enthusiasm, carrying the flames up into the canopy of the eucalypts, themselves pyromaniacs (just look what they have done to Spain, Portugal and California) and they are deadly to work on. Their branches are incredibly fibrous and elastic as well as being very spikey. Luckily for me various parasites love them otherwise that 6" branch would have crushed me when I hit it. But being a typical wattle it didn't snap off completely but kept me pinned against the back of my seat like a bloody great spring and I did not have the strength to push it off.

I've just finished changing the brake fluid on the CBX. Last time I did that was when I changed to 17" front wheels some years ago. To my surprise there was no evidence of any water or air in the system at all. I'm still using the original Prolink master cylinder and calipers and I reckon that is pretty good going for nearly 40 year old parts. Al I have ever done is clean up the pistons with a bit of wet and dry and fit HH sintered pads for racing. I reckon the twin piston Prolink floaters are vastly superior to the single fixed piston Brembos most of my competitors run on their period racers.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Just a quick after thought. Few people are aware that the ubiquitous Oz eucalypt or gum tree was not the dominant species in Oz that it has now become. Ice cores drilled in Antarctica demonstrate huge quantities of araucaria pollen, so prior to humans inhabiting Gondwana and fire stick farming commencing in Oz about 60-100,000 years ago the dominant species were pine trees.

The conservation property I used to manage in Wollombi was adjacent to the Wollemi National Park and deep in one of the deepest gorges protected from bushfires an abseiling botanist discovered the oldest living thing in the world; an araucaria that is estimated to be 144 million years old. In that time unlike nearly all other species it's DNA has never changed.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Well, I'm glad to hear you survived the tractor incident. Hopefully you didn't use up all of your good luck on getting out of that one alive.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thanks for the sentiment Phil. If we do indeed have a fixed quotient of luck then I must have a deep well because I do seem to have a lot of bad luck. But then luck like happiness is all relative I guess. I'm not very superstitious at any rate and tend to the view that we make our own luck - good or bad - more like karma.

Its a long time since I had the CBX out on track so I'm looking forward to the weekend and attending to all the little preparations in readiness. Oiling, adjusting & polishing. I have a welders clamp that has a strong spring that I've been exercising my arthritic hands with as well. I don't expect to do too many laps and it will be more of a shakedown for both my racers to see what needs attention b4 the big race at the end of February.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Third big accident with a tractor?
I was going to suggest you start wearing your bike helmet and gear next time you're on board but bad things happen in threes so you should be good. Carry on.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Get a tractor with a 4 post roll guard, if you must be playing on steep ground. Playing with tractors has killed a lot of folks who thought they knew what they were doing.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Why are so many motorcyclists so superstitious, I wonder Steve???

And yes, a pair of front posts would have helped Rick. I was thinking of making up a roof to keep the sun off in any event but it would have to fold down so that I can get into places with overhanging vegetation or when trailering.

As I said, tractors are more dangerous than bikes but the most dangerous of all and the biggest killer on Oz farms are quads. The Jap manufacturers are threatening to pull out of the Oz market if the State govt.s go ahead with proposed mandatory roll over protection legislation. That would be a dumb move as the Chinese will fill the gap. Better to engineer them in properly than stick your head in the sand.

Now, wearing my suit and helmet on the tractor is something that I haven't thought of. Hmmm????

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Quads are horrible. I won't ride one or let my kids on them. Basically the only vehicle ever made that's capable of running over its own driver.

That said, I'm sure that they're a ton of fun when they're not crushing and paralyzing people.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

When I was a small lad on the farm, my dad beat into my head, "A machine doesn't have a brain. You have to think for it and yourself too". So no matter what mechanical device you're operating, or near, be aware and plan ahead.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here is a pic of a wombat emerging from a typical burrow. They can get quite large. Once upon a time they were the size of a hippopotamos and their remains can be found at Lake Gairdner which has taken over from Bonneville as the favored location for setting land speed records. I think Roly set a new naturally aspirated naked bike world speed record with a CBX there not long ago.

The rider would have been travelling at high speed over the fossilised remains of diprotodons preserved in the salt of an ancient lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”