CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Racing

Post by NobleHops »

There is/was a plastic cover on top of that recess, do you still have yours? Yeah, that wheel flange was a head scratcher - aluminum??!! Mine had cracks across 3 of the bosses when I inspected it! Mine is an old goat, a 2007, and was repaired before they owned up to the issue and recalled these. I did get reimbursed though,
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Mine is one of the last ST's, a 1200 SE with ESA and twin cam motor. It doesn't have the cap but getting all the plastic panels off to get at the thing was a pain and with different length screws (Grrr!), many of them hidden in awkward locations. I will attend to it in due course. Frankly, I'm annoyed with it and have just tossed a sheet over the thing.

In the meantime, I have been working on getting the GSXR ready to comply with the GCR's, drilling, lock wiring, draining glycol coolant and fashioning a shark fin to cover the rear sprocket. It has a race glass fairing that is almost as fiddly as the BM's plastics except for Dzus clips rather than screws. Not what you want when you are in a hurry in the pits. And same old packaging problems. Almost impossible to get at the sidestand cut out connector so will have to snip the wires. It also has a clutch safety switch and I hesitate to start re-wiring the electrics on these modern bikes. They are so complicated.

The CBX is a snack by comparison altho' I have struck a problem getting gaskets from TIMS. Does anybody know if Bill is still trading? The US Postal Service seems to be on the point of collapse in any event. Very disturbing. We may have to start making stuff here again instead of relying on the US or China. So many things will have to change.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

My wife had an ST when we met, that was a really beautifully balanced motorcycle and sneaky fast. Yes, Tim's is operating, give him a call is my advice.
Nils Menten

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Apart from these design lapses, they are a good all round road bike Nils and if I rode it more often it might be a better bike.

I love the Telelever front end. They are hard to beat by any other big road bike in a breaking duel, especially on a rough road where you lose most of your suspension travel with conventional telescopic forks. And that lovely smooth lumpy torque out of the bends is addictive. For a big comfortable 2 up tourer with all the bells & whistles they can be hustled along like a sport bike and a simple press of the ESA button changes their character dramatically.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I picked up a low-mile '05 GS1200 last year. Never been back to a dealer. There were two open recalls - fuel pump and rear hub flange, as mentioned. They were both taken care of, completely under warranty. The bike is 15 years old. No complaints here.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:03 am
I picked up a low-mile '05 GS1200 last year. Never been back to a dealer. There were two open recalls - fuel pump and rear hub flange, as mentioned. They were both taken care of, completely under warranty. The bike is 15 years old. No complaints here.

Dave
Put that in Mike’s trailer for the fall, fly to Portland. Trip of a lifetime. Stash it at my place, now you have a west coast bike. Ride it home one day.

Sleep on that my friend. If not now, when?
Nils Menten

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I know, I know.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

My old /2s and the /7s don't really care, about ill effects to fuel pumps and gauges in the tank, because there aren't any. My 1990 K1 has not had an issue yet, my "99 R1100RT shows a slight discrepancy in the fuel gauge I can live with. My 2012 K16GT had a plastic fuel line elbow between tank and injectors come apart.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Maybe all this modern electrickery is why bikes are not as popular as they were in the 70's when just about anybody could understand and maintain them and everybody had one.

For all the CBX's design and packaging problems it is simplicity itself compared to most modern bikes and yet when properly set up and with mild tuning it can perform just as well, even on the track.

motogpwerks
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by motogpwerks »

Syscrush wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 am
Conflicts with your supplier/tuner is a very tough situation to navigate. On top of who's right or wrong, or who was damaged by whom by the initial screw-up, you have to ask yourself who will be hurt more if the relationship goes sour.

I was sent some incorrect parts from someone who really should know much better, and when I expressed my concerns about it, they doubled down and gave a BS explanation of why I was wrong and the parts were right. I ultimately dropped it and just got the right stuff from a local supplier, because sorting it out on my end cost me one Saturday and a few hundred bucks - while getting in a pissing match with an important player for keeping my CBX going long-term could cost me much, much more than that over the years. Good luck getting things sorted out with RS (or in finding a way to just eat the loss and move on).

Those exhausts that TIMS are selling look amazing. Everything that MotoGP Werks sells looks amazing - at least in the promotional photos. I have heard conflicting reports about their fitment and final QA - with some people extremely happy with their products, and others really disappointed. The recurring theme seems to be great welding but occasional problems with fitment. The owner of MGW has been pretty active in some forum drama and has ended up banned from a few sites - but if you're dealing with TIMS, you should be well insulated from that kind of stuff. Do your own research, and hope for the best. If you do end up having to make some tweaks to fit that setup, it would obviously not be the only fiddling your bike has needed.

If I wasn't so attached to my Gary Wolf exhaust, I would look very, very hard at that 6-into-1 - IMO even if I got unlucky and it needed some work to fit, it would be worth it.

Thanks for the update and good luck!

Really Syscrush seems like your just stirring up the pot ,I have never been banned from any forum ,fittment issues are usually thge customer issue or there was a canadian like SYscrush who got a pipe ,then claimed it didn't fit got his refund from paypal and refused to send it back and ran it on hios bike for numerous years till he got a Hindle.Also bad mnouthed me when ever he could .....Also I use too sell to TIms till one day I sent 10x pipes and never got paid ,two months later I got a set off CR carbs and some cash to break even .
The delivic pipes are made in china ...that's pretty simply
I make about 5x cbx pipes a year when I have 3-4 pre orders so the cost can keep the same as 10 yrs ago...and I have 2 in stock
Amazing how many people was experts or have alot to say when they can't make anything themselves or just buy china products

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Merde. Just goes to show that old posts have a life of their own and some hurts never go away.

For the record, Roly Skate and I get along just fine and he has never, ever ducked my many requests for advice. He no longer works on 'the lump' but we are geographically a long way apart. We have our differences but they are up front and I'm no saint anyhow. Keeping old bikes going and sourcing parts is not easy, especially during a pandemic but it is a shared problem for suppliers and consumers alike. We are only half clever monkeys, after all.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

The Club has run it's first limited numbers coaching session so the track is back in use. Hopefully, we will be able to resume competition before too long.

South Australia is virtually virus free now and across the country the new cases are just a handful, largely confined to returning travellers in quarantine. The economic fall out from fast universal lockdowns has not been anywhere near as severe as was predicted or budgeted for so Australia has done relatively well so far but the international situation is very disturbing on a number of levels.

I'm currently having some shims made up for the CBX. One theory has it that if you grind off the baseline of the cams to achieve greater duration then you need to allow wider clearances. Another that it makes no difference. I'll stick to the stock clearances and see how we go.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

motogpwerks wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Really Syscrush seems like your just stirring up the pot
Coming here and digging up one post that's more than a year old that says you sell a beautiful product but have been known to get bogged down in forum drama kinda seems to make my point for me.

If you go back and read what I wrote, I said that your work looks amazing and that even if it did need some work to fit it would be worth it to me. I also said that I'd rock one of your pipes if I wasn't so attached to what I already have.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with TIMS. As a manufacturer you take risk when you put the time and materials into making your product, and it really sucks if someone (especially one so prominent in the CBX community) screws you.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Time to get back to fast bikes and fast bikies. Here is a pic of World Champion Hugh Andersen on Ago's Mv at the IOM with 2 of the foremost Britten collectors (and racers) Kevin Grant and the Roman Ferrari exporter (I will get back to you with his details but he is famous, duh!).

Hughie kept me up one night when we were sharing a room in Port St Mary with stories of racing behind the iron curtain in the early 60's. He and Mike/michele Duff were both Suzuki facrtory riders in the golden era and both wrote interesting books about the period that are still relevant today.

Now why can't I post it?

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

maybe this will work?

Nope.

I can't post any pics. Perhaps its viral???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”