CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

STOP PRESS: Isle of Man authorities announce age limit of 40 years for Island Classic competitors. Course "too fast" for mature riders, they say.

I am taking up this ridiculously discriminatory policy with the race committee but we may have to go to the House of Keys (the IOM parliament) to acheive reason. The IOM being a sovereign country is not bound by UK anti discrimination laws. Nor is it a member of the EU.

However, if you thinkabout it fr a second, this anachronism does raise questions about why the Irish border (the 'hard border' in Brexit terminology) that has caused so much trouble. Nobody has mentioned the same issues with the IOM or the Channel Islands.

Is it just the peculiarity of the Irish? Will we ever get the lump onto the grid at the Classic TT? Will we ever cure the lump's misfire? Stay tuned for the next episode of 'tilting at windmills' - the story of one man's folly.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

But to return to anther man's folly - Mr Trump. Humpty Trumpty sat on the wall... We all know what happened next.

It is easy to forget that as recently as 1800 approximately half of the continental United States was French and it was only the paranoia of the southern slave owners, fearful of French republicanism that prompted Thomas Jefferson to negotiate with Napoleon rather than going to war. Jefferson ended up with a lot more than New Orleans which is what he originally bargained for.

Sometimes, it seems like the only ting that American Presidents ever do or can do is declare war on somebody or something. Maybe Donald should take a leaf out of Jefferson's book and offer the southern States back to Monsieur Macron. That could solve quite a few problems. But alas, not my misfire.

When I disconnect the wires from the Dyna sender to the coils, place my neg ohmmeter lead on the base plate and the positive on the coils it reads 8-9 ohms on each coil rather than an open circuit. If I'm doing this correctly that might indicate a damaged output. I don't have a diode test but my reference up above to all that voltage slopping around could be construed as a suspicion of diode damage. Maybe....

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Sorry - typo in my post above - coils are showing a resistance of 2.8 to 2.9 ohms when tested in situ. Dynatek say they should measure a minimum of 3 ohms but they recommend removing and isolating them b4 testing. Just doing it with them on the bike they read 2.9 each but allowing for the resistance in the test leads that provides a reading of closer to 2.8 ohms each. Not sure if this means the coils are serviceable or not. Anybody prepared to venture an opinion? I don't know how to test the diodes without pulling the whole thing apart.
It seems to fire on all 6 at idle but how well I don't know. Open the throttle at rest and it revs but open the throttle under load at any speed and it just about dies b4 slowly picking up, intermittently firing on the bad cylinders. When I investigate cylinders 4 and 6 are on different coils but those headers show half the temperature of the others when I come in and the plugs are sooty, not helped by new plugs.
All suggestions gratefully considered.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:And at the other end of the bundle the colours are different....
A technique that many have used for tidying up a wiring harness is:
  1. Take the existing harness and post it up on a sheet of plywood.
  2. Draw an outline of the wires and label the connectors on the plywood.
  3. Remove all insulation and sheathing.
  4. Get new matching connectors (if possible).
  5. Replace one wire at a time, routing them within the outlines you drew.
  6. Apply new tape, insulation, sheathing, etc. based on your needs.
  7. Plug the new harness into the bike!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Warwick Biggs wrote:But to return to anther man's folly - Mr Trump. Humpty Trumpty sat on the wall... We all know what happened next.

It is easy to forget that as recently as 1800 approximately half of the continental United States was French and it was only the paranoia of the southern slave owners, fearful of French republicanism that prompted Thomas Jefferson to negotiate with Napoleon rather than going to war. Jefferson ended up with a lot more than New Orleans which is what he originally bargained for.

Sometimes, it seems like the only ting that American Presidents ever do or can do is declare war on somebody or something. Maybe Donald should take a leaf out of Jefferson's book and offer the southern States back to Monsieur Macron. That could solve quite a few problems. But alas, not my misfire.

When I disconnect the wires from the Dyna sender to the coils, place my neg ohmmeter lead on the base plate and the positive on the coils it reads 8-9 ohms on each coil rather than an open circuit. If I'm doing this correctly that might indicate a damaged output. I don't have a diode test but my reference up above to all that voltage slopping around could be construed as a suspicion of diode damage. Maybe....
Not sure why CBX international is putting up with your phucking politics here ? Maybe you should concentrate on your missfire ? But why you are on a roll as kid in American education we were taught the English sent all there Rejects to Australia ? So if you or CBX want to keep your political dribble rolling here and insult our Presidents my hope is this should put a end to it and delete not only your Political BS but mine also , Put a sock in bro ! https://www.quora.com/Are-Australians-d ... -criminals

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Alright boys. Off to your rooms. :naughty:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gearheadgregg wrote:political dribble
It's drivel, not dribble. Take it from a foreigner! 8)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:
Gearheadgregg wrote:political dribble
It's drivel, not dribble. Take it from a foreigner! 8)
Wellll, some of us are old enough to dribble.......... :teasing-poke:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick: We only dribble in Soccer and in Basketball, not in Politics! :laughing-rolling:

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:Rick: We only dribble in Soccer and in Basketball, not in Politics! :laughing-rolling:
of a liquid) fall slowly in drops or a thin stream. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... definition

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Rick Pope wrote:Alright boys. Off to your rooms. :naughty:
Penalty box again lol :D

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here are a few thoughts;

Personally, I really do not like forums which are heavily controlled - and consequently censored - by administrators for content. A "forum" is all about free speech.
This being said, however, all members should be responsible and refrain from political or religious statements and arguments in forums which are not intended for these subjects. A motorcycle forum should not be used as a platform or "soap box" to express or foster political or religious opinions or preferences. If a forum member does not abide by these rules, these comments should be ignored and not discussed further, thus turning them into issues. If the issue persists, may be a warning to the member is in order. Do not fight it out, it does not help anybody.
This is one thing.
The other one is, the organization behind this forum here is named INTERNATIONAL CBX Owners Association. It has members from all over the world and is for people from all over the world.
To someone who lives outside the U.S. Mid-West, Deep South or "Bible Belt" and cares for issues outside these areas, it is no secret that the current POTUS and his administration are not very liked by the majority of the people.
I myself can attest to that, as every time I go to Europe I am being bombarded with negative sentiments about the political leadership in the US and questions why I still want to pursue US citizenship.
It is really no surprise to me, that we have members here from other countries who are very suspicious of who governs the United States right now.

We should not continue hashing out pros and cons of either opinion here. It would be a shame, if this thread would have to be locked for that reason or we would lose Warwick's great contributions about "Racing the CBX"

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Crikey! I didn't expect that. During the Vietnam War many families in Oz were politically divided over the direction our close alliance with the US was leading and the old adage about not discussing sex, religion or politics left many people discussing the weather. Now, even the weather has become a political issue that raises hackles.

One of my goals in developing the CBX was to take it to the Classic TT on the IOM. At the moment the biggest obstacle (apart from the bike itself) is the IOM Race Committee and their 40 year old age limit. I'm attempting to address that. I have been kindly offered some sponsorship to ship the bike, so money is less of an issue but there is no denying that overseas travel in Oz is sharply declining in large part due to the collapsing dollar and that is a direct consequence of US foreign policy. It is a serious issue for me and I regret my flippant tone. It was not meant to offend. Enuf' on that.

I picked up my green Kabuto helmet from the track yesterday, hoping I could at least salvage the visor (they cost $90 each). There was not much of the helmet left that hadn't been severely re-profiled, including the visor. When I think about the open face jet style or pudding basin helmets we used to wear when I started racing and what would have been the result had I been wearing one of them, I have to say that this helmet probably saved my life. Nevertheless, 3 high sides in 16 months is 3 too many. At least only one involved the CBX. Altho' there was that front end wash out at Wakefield Park where I came down on my knee and it bounced back up and regained traction so maybe that makes it 3.5. Perhaps I need to make haste a little more carefully.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here are some pics of my last 2 Kabuto helmets showing crash damage from high sides. Its bad enuf' falling off at the best of times but when he front goes it is much worse because the first thing that hits the deck is your shoulder, closely followed by your head and face. As you can see, the results are not pretty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I won't be salvaging this visor...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”