CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: CBX Racing

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Then came my first big bike...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Then came my first big bike...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Eventually after some years passed I graduated to my first superbike a 1970 Commando Roadster. After that the die was cast.

R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Then came my first GP racer- an ex Yamaha Germany works TZ350B. This bike had a Krober CDIgnition and a disconcerting habit of starting backwards. In the days of push starts nothing was less likely to endear you to your fellow competitors than a bike going backwards thru' the grid at high speed. Somehow I survived and when it ran OK it was the fastest thing around. It had so many extra transfer ports that when you removed the head, the barrels looked like a piece of Swiss cheese.
I was lucky to survive this bike after the cable on the 4LS front brake snapped and wrapped itself around the axle locking the front wheel solid at 160mph.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The first thing i noticed on the pic of the TZ was the massive front brake and figured that thing must stop on a dime.
Stopping on a dime at 160mph is a whole other story. Yikes.

I used to see Michelle Duff every year at the Jan. bike show in Toronto.
She would be signing her book and if not too busy would tell old racing tales. Of course i had no reference or knowledge of them but even hearing the names/places was very cool.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Yes, Mike's/Michelle's contemporary and multi world champ for Suzuki entitled his reminiscence, "Being There". That is Kiwi Hugh Anderson who I helped with the Waterworks Britten owned by Kevin Grant at the 2005 TT. Even the champions get caught up in exactly the same mystic. What am I doing here? Amazing!

Some news: I have acquired 1 and three quarters of a brace of NC30's just to try and improve my riding without wearing out the CBX. Truth is these little 399cc buzz bombs are quicker than a hot CBX but of course they are an entirely different kettle of fish. Very apt analogy as I acquired this lot from top 400 racer Glenn Kettle. Thanks mate! Pics and reports to follow.

R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Duh! "mystic"? Should have been mystique. Sorry, brain fade.

Even the greats can journey into the mystic and enjoy the mystique of famous tracks and riders. How often have we heard the young guns expressing surprise to find themselves on the same grid as riders they only know by reputation only to find they are mortal and beatable?

It is the contest that is stimulating and everybody on the grid, no matter how famous, deserves respect because it can be dangerous. We are all clever monkeys and every monkey has his or her day.

R.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:Some news: I have acquired 1 and three quarters of a brace of NC30's just to try and improve my riding without wearing out the CBX. Truth is these little 399cc buzz bombs are quicker than a hot CBX but of course they are an entirely different kettle of fish. Very apt analogy as I acquired this lot from top 400 racer Glenn Kettle. Thanks mate! Pics and reports to follow.
Um, how many are in a "brace"? I thought it's 2. I'm trying to figure out how many NC30's you have now. :)

I know that when I go back and forth between my CBX and my wife's Monster 620, I feel like I'm warping into another dimension. Are you concerned that more track time on a bike that behaves so differently from the CBX might be counter-productive?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Warwick Biggs wrote:Then came my first big bike...
It might be because my son is a similar age now, but I think that this might be my favorite of the many great photos you've shared here. :)

I hate rod-actuated brakes, but can't help liking that cool old bicycle.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I have one NC30 fully set up for racing and another one as a spare but missing the front forks so I classify it as 1 & 3/4 of a brace.

The 3/4 NC30 is really just for spares altho' I have additional boxes of clutches, air boxes, exhausts, etc. Even a manual that will be handy as I don't even know how to adjust the chain on a single sided swing arm. My BMW has a very sensible shaft and I haven't had to adjust a chain on a road bike for decades.

I'm not concerned about the differences. I will convert the NC30 to a race shift pattern and I have to modify my front head stand so that it avoids the nose of the full fairing. I will probably get a second set of stands in due course but the head stand is a priority because you cannot run slicks without cooking them or they tear and you need the stand in order to fit tyre warmers.

The real purpose of the NC30 is as an easy to handle, cheap to run practice bike to improve my riding skills. A 2 day club ride day and coaching session is coming up in a little over a week so hopefully I will try it out.

The CBX is sitting up in traction without its wheels. Looks weird. They are in having a fresh set of slicks fitted in readiness for the Hartwell Seniors in mid September altho b4 that I will also be fitting the 19 tooth front sprocket and 520 chain.

As usual, lots of time in the shed preparing and trying as far as possible to make sure everything is tickety boo.

asteroth
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by asteroth »

Hi Rick,

Just wanted to say thank you for an entertaining read! I have just spent 4 hours reading it all instead of working. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Rick.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thanks and a CBX can't go far without wheels as you can see...

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

And here is little brother, the Honda NC30.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here you can see the cause of twice as much fiddling around. At least one of them should go, shouldn't it?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

"one of them should go"?.....i was thinking with the empty lift and rear stand there was room for another one.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”