CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Racing

Post by cross »

Hello Warwick,

In regards to the pro-link bushings, if you are referring to the arm bushings that hold the rear shock, they are not available from Honda anymore, only seals are.
I think that someone posted here in the past that he had bought some bronze bushings that were oil impregnated i think but, you can probably have machine shop make you collars and bronze bushings and seals you can still get from Honda.
Here is the diagram, part numbers 17, 18, 38
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

For the Regulator/rectifier, i got mine from these guys. It's a bit of an improvement from the original one with newer electronics, better heat sink and thermal protection built in in the case it gets over heated from alternator overworking it. It fits and works well. Price $99, and they do ship over seas.
http://www.electrosport.com/catalog/cat ... iew/id/270

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Think I missed the post about electrics, but I will say that I have two hondas running their charging system components. Only issue I had, I think it was electrosport or ricks was a stator coil on my 650. One wire was misrapped causing it to scrub and thus fail but was warrantied. Biggest cause of charging cooker I have experience is ground corrosion for the R/R

As for racing a CBX? Well like you said, compared to others, it does wallow. But vintage racing is of course never about just winning. Being competitive, enjoying the experience and beating your own times, continually improving is what makes it so fun

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thanks Sasha, I'll follow those links up.

As for the wallowing, we will try and find a fix. Roly & Trevor reckon its the engine mounts and axles and obviously the weight is a big factor.

I keep thinking of the Chromalloy frame that Tony Foale made for Excalibur and I think Trevor is thinking along similar lines.

Warwick.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Excalibur black and white threeHon6_01[1].JPG
Here is Excalibur.

Mel #1876 :flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

So here is a problem that not many CBX owners will have experienced. Its hot in New South Wales at the moment. Every day over 38C or 100F so I've been putting off doing some basic maintenance jobs including changing the oil.

Eventually, early one morning I started it up to get the oil up to temperature and it was backfiring and missing and a bugger to get going. Then I noticed what appeared to be bits of ceramic shooting out of the 6 exhausts and pinging off the iron roof. We have a dam just above the shed where the bike sits and the mud wasps had been busy filling up my pipes with mud for their nests. Once they dry they are shaped just like 45 calibre bullets. So mud wasps can be added to the very long list of possible reasons for hard CBX starting.

Bad news from the opening round of the SBK World Superbike races and the Historic support races at Phillip Island with Trevor crashing and flipping 'the Beastess', Roly's highly developed pro link racer. Trevor sustained a broken collarbone and ribs and the bike, a busted crank end. They will be gutted and just when they were beginning to sort out the handling, according to Roly.

Rick.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great, now we have to check for "mud bullets" when the bike won't start. haha.

Too bad about the crash for Team 666. Glad to hear Trevor was not more seriously injured.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I see that Mel lists a CBX Moto Martin in his collection. Can anybody refer me to any images of this machine please?

It may have some answers to our handling issues that will satisfy the period scrutineers.

Rick.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I believe that Mel no longer has his Martin.
Will this help? What would you like a photo of?
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Very interesting picture. Looks to be the addition of the downward cross brase across the carbs there to stiffen it up and the inboard? I guess that is one advantage of a minimal frame bike, it means easier to make your own! The forks.... cannot visually notice any difference in the rake angle....

The tiny fuel hat definitely reduces some of the high up weight as well though.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

This is a stock, original Martin.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

That definitely would rigid it up!!!

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Rick,Phil,

Here are two of the five MM's I used to own. The black one was clocked through a police speedtrap at 143mph with the previous owner. He got fined $500 and banned for a week. He would probably go to jail now as that was twenty years ago!!!!

cheers Mel #1876
:flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cbxmel on Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Thanks. Any other pics of frame detail would be helpful. I am trying to work out whether it is feasible to have a replica made.

Rick.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Georges Martin is still producing frames. ICOA member David Carroll recently bought one. See latest issue of CBXPRESS for details. So copyright issues will obtain and slightly modified frame would have to be produced If not genuine article. Note the difference with my two to Phil's. I have the stiffeners from crank end caps to frame.Also, Phil has earlier tubular swinging arm. Mine are later box section. Mel #1876
:flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hey Phil, do you have any more pictures of your MM without that old guy hanging around it?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”