CBX Racing

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Racing

Post by wyly »

Warwick Biggs wrote:Well, we had 'the lump' all back together for testing but the rider managed to wrap his index finger around a router blade after his sticky nitrile glove was caught in the drill chuck. Result: shattered left index finger and inability to operate a clutch & worse still, 6 months in a splint - can't ride for 6 months for such a stupid little accident! I feel like chopping it off!
can't ride for 6 months :shock: ...here we call that winter :D ...
after my last knee surgery I wasn't supposed to ride either but I lifted my leg onto the peg and rode regardless...

Does anybody have any experience of trying to clean the jets a la Nixon or otherwise? I think this machine was designed by somebody with sadistic tendencies and I apologise to the designer b4 I start another Pacific war but couldn't you have kept it a bit more normal?
try the least expensive, simplest and quickest solution first, Sea Foam to couple of fill ups...I added sea foam to the fuel and it cleared the acceleration stumbling at low rpm in less than a week on the first tank full....
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

No, I checked the chokes were all working thanks Steve. Seems to be a blocked jet in either 1, 2 or 3. The 6 into 6 have a collector on each side so I can only tell which cylinder by pulling a lead off and then it dies. No measurable difference in exhaust pipe temperature, either so I'm guessing gunge in the jet; probably cylinder 1. Luckily, mate we drink tea in this household in mugs.

Wyly, you keep complaining about the weather so I suggest you move to somewhere more civilised with a gentler climate. Not that I can really give advice on the climate when we haven't had any significant rain for 6 months and I'm having to start to move water around. Hanrahan reckons if we don't get rain soon, we'll all be 'rooned'.

What the #### is "sea foam"? Some sort of fuel additive? Not sure we have that product in Oz but the idea might be worth trying.

I have some carb cleaner and a 0.3mm drill bit but I can't even see the bit, much less use it with the carbs on. So I think I will wait until the next time I take them off. That may be sooner rather than later. because after talking to James Fisher and investigating the late model GPZ550 (non CV) carbs that he runs on his CBX racer I have ordered a set of 31mm Keihin CR's. Everybody else here runs CR round slides on their GSX's and the like and they are said to give a much quicker response than CV's that are smooth but less instantaneous in delivery. James reckons it makes a big difference when jostling in the bends, so that convinced me. TIM's are very expensive by the time they arrive here so mine will be second hand.

And after just paying another nearly $50 for a crown socket for the steering stem nut from classic restorations in the UK I'm just about skint. This bike is a money pit. But I guess you all know that.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Seafoam Motor Treatment is some mix of mineral spirits and naptha. A quick Google hunt showed some retailers in Australia that carry it, but you're better to research that than I am as I don't know where stuff is in Aus. :)

It's a good solvent sold on a bunch of bogus claims. I use it as a fuel additive in the spring in the hopes of keeping carbs clear when getting the bikes out of storage and maybe catching a batch of winter gas (we have different formulations for the winter here in the Great White North, and sometimes it has additives that I worry about running through my vintage bike), and I like it fine for that, but the stuff about adding it to oil etc. seems crazy to me.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:Seafoam Motor Treatment is some mix of mineral spirits and naptha. A quick Google hunt showed some retailers in Australia that carry it, but you're better to research that than I am as I don't know where stuff is in Aus. :)

It's a good solvent sold on a bunch of bogus claims. I use it as a fuel additive in the spring in the hopes of keeping carbs clear when getting the bikes out of storage and maybe catching a batch of winter gas (we have different formulations for the winter here in the Great White North, and sometimes it has additives that I worry about running through my vintage bike), and I like it fine for that, but the stuff about adding it to oil etc. seems crazy to me.
sea foam in oil? ...I've never heard of that one :?
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Warwick Biggs wrote: Wyly, you keep complaining about the weather so I suggest you move to somewhere more civilised with a gentler climate. Not that I can really give advice on the climate when we haven't had any significant rain for 6 months and I'm having to start to move water around. Hanrahan reckons if we don't get rain soon, we'll all be 'rooned'.
me complain about winter? na that's mouse he lives in a mountain valley up the road from me, a frozen wasteland of hillbillies, bears and snow, where I live it's virtually tropical ... :roll:

What the #### is "sea foam"? Some sort of fuel additive? Not sure we have that product in Oz but the idea might be worth trying.
a very inexpensive additive at least it is here...I previously used more expensive fancy additives but Sea Foam works great...even while the engine sits idle in the garage seafoam is doing it's job...

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:sea foam in oil? ...I've never heard of that one :?
Straight from the horse's... mouth
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

wyly wrote: me complain about winter? na that's mouse he lives in a mountain valley up the road from me, a frozen wasteland of hillbillies, bears and snow, where I live it's virtually tropical ... :roll:
Lies, its all lies :liar:
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Tropical? Like Irma? Is Mouse an Inuit name?

Right now our valley is full of smoke from forest burn offs but its' not as bad as what my South African mate Joe recently experienced. Joe lives in the hills behind Santa Barbara (on the same fault line that shook Mexico the other night) and was burnt out by the Whittier fire a month or so ago. In an uncharacteristic pang of guilt he sent me the twisted remains of an Estwing hammer that he found in the ruins of his workshop that he reckoned he nicked from me 20 years ago but he was mistaken. It wasn't mine. I buy $10 specials, never "the best hammer in the world". Investigation revealed he nicked it from Bill, another Wollombi local who for 20 years blamed yet another local (Tony a drunk who one night 'borrowed' Bill's car with all his tools in it, to get home from the pub) for stealing his favourite hammer. It turned out that it wasn't even his. It was actually the very popular Louie's hammer but he shot himself so it devolved on his best mate Dennis who is a brilliant mechanical engineer who occasionally I turn to for assistance with the CBX (yes, there is a CBX connection). This hammer has been around the bay for a bob and has more stories attached to it than I can possibly relate here but Hanrahan is riding high. Rumour has it that he hangs out in the Hermit Kingdom when he's not causing havoc here. Middle name might be Kim.

Maybe we could try this magical solvent on him. Might dissolve all our problems.

R.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Did somebody say "Hanrahan"???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tvfdSjRE4
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

My dual battery conversion seems to work OK, at least in the workshop. I used a 250 amp AAA switch acquired from a boat chandlery where they are a popular back up for starting outboard motors. 2 LiPo batteries are much lighter than an AGM or lead acid and should overcome the limitations of lithiums in handling the contrasting requirements of electric starting and running 3 (15 ah) Dyna coils and a touchy digital ignition on total loss.

The switch fitted neatly behind the stock rh side cover next to to the fuse using the old rectifier mount. Start on 1 then switch thru' 'Both' to 2 to keep the motor running and turn to 'Off' for recharging. It is only on 'Both' for a split second avoiding the issues associated with the unpredicatable discharge rates of 2 different lithium batteries. The second battery fits neatly behind the existing battery. There are even 2 stock rubber coated prongs that fold out to hold it (what were they originally for, I wonder?). A few extra rubber blocks to lift it away from the wheel and reduce vibration and a strap are all that is necessary to complete the conversion.

This should enable me to do longer events such as 3-4 laps of the IOM (if we ever get 'the lump' over there) or the local endurance races.

I can't wait to put the new carbs on.

R.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Really looking forward to testing the new chassis, CR's and increased electric capacity at Phillip Island in a few weeks time.

I am lucky, lucky to have been offered help by the leading CBX racer development team (probably in the world altho' that is a big claim) with Roly Skate and Trevor Manley. I think I have mentioned b4 that Trevor is a 125 champion with plenty of international experience and I don't suppose you could have more of a contrast to a 125 than a CBX. But Trevor was exceedingly fast on Roly's 'Beast' and 'Beastess' (the prolink) and his chassis and suspension expertise coupled with his skill as a racer are an unbeatable combination.

Regrettably, Trevor retired from competition after a bad crash at the island at the World Supers a year or so ago but he is still very involved in race development through his suspension businesss TMS that he takes to the race tracks of Australia in his vintage pantech truck. In the back is a full suspension workshop.

Roly has been a mentor for me right from the start of this adventure and I think if I'd ever had a son, I would have liked him to turn out like Roly altho' you can't chose your relatives can you?

R.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Great to hear you will be getting some info from the top guys.
We certainly remember reading about Trevor in the earlier days of the Beast.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Phillip Island Test Wrap: The replacement RPE head had always felt down on power so this would be the first time back on the dyno since it was fitted. The result was a bigger power drop than I expected , nearly 20hp. Whilst RPE may be able to manage 114hp as they claim, it is not reliable hp in my experience and I would caution anybody about taking these claims at face value. In any event after a day spent with Roly dialling in the 33mm CR carbs on the dyno (105hp with good fairly flat power from 4-8K) we scooted down to our apartment in Ventnor where I rebuilt the bike ready for the next day's track session. After talking to Trevor Manley I dropped the forks down to a protrusion of 22mm from the top clamp and recharged the batteries.

On the track the motor was strong, crisp and smooth with the CR carbs altho' still 10hp down on the first (over ported) head. No matter. All now good useable and hopefully, reliable power. Trevor did 2 full sessions (about 15 laps) and judged the handling with the new geometry to be nearly as good as Roly's bikes. He reckoned it is good for a flat 1'50 at any rate. A pic of him coming out of Siberia:

Trevor's best time around Phillip Island on the Beast is a 1'47 altho' Michael Dibbs managed a 1'46 so my bike is now not that far off probably the fastest CBX racer in the world, despite the relatively low state of engine tune. Trev diagnosed my persistent speed wobble as caused by the very wide clip on bars I run, amplifying any bumps or movement of the rider. He suggested narrower bars and some set up changes. Sure enuf' when I went out I noticed an immediate improvement all round and was able to take the hay shed up into the blind left hand Lukey heights in top gear without the dreaded wallowing by concentrating on relaxing my grip on the bars. And I only lightly scuffed the crank end once or twice in Siberia, meaning ground clearance is improved. So the verdict on the head de-rake to 24 degrees is, it worked. Light, precise, quick, stable handling. In other words the good prolink handling on the road has now been successfully translated to the special demands of the racetrack on slicks.

We were red lining in top well b4 the Melbourne sign with 18/37 gearing for the 17" wheels and there was no hint of a weave or any instability going into the very fast and a bit bumpy Turn 1 and absolutely no need for a steering damper. Roly's opinion was we could even have gone up a tooth on the countershaft sprocket.

All the heavy plough-on under-steering from Mac Park was gone. It was accelerating smoothly out of the corners and was fun to ride and I began to enjoy the circuit until I scared myself silly coming out of turn 12 too hot and nearly ran off onto the grass. The exit of T12 is very fast and critical to a good time down the straight and I noticed some of the modern superbikes were not braking until the 50m braking marker for T1. The top MotoGP riders take it flat out at about 315kph! Achieving the best times at Phillip Island is really all about Turns 12 and 1 and how brave you are. So all went to plan and was good up until the time we started packing up.

But when I went to start the bike to put it back in the trailer my old bug bear returned and both batteries were absolutely flat (following is a pic of the dual lithium battery switch) so a bad mystery electrical short remains in the 35 year old stock Honda harness despite all my efforts and I will have to make an entirely new racing loom b4 I can take it out again. So I had to push it into the trailer and I hate doing this. It weighs around 236kgs with 10 litres of fuel (54/46% front to rear)

But that was just the beginning of my troubles that quickly piled up. Unfortunately, during lunch I had lost a filling in a sandwich and by this time the jagged edge of the tooth had badly lacerated my tongue. With that and the disappointment over the failure to eradicate the electrical gremlin I was distracted and failed to notice I had disconnected the trailer from my vehicle. You can imagine what happened next and I now have a big dent in my fuel tank. But thankfully, no damage to the car. I also have a damaged fork tube so any hopes I had of being ready for the national championship immediately evaporated. There was probably more damage than if I'd dropped it on the track really and I am my own worst enemy when I have these brain fades.

So a fair bit to do b4 our next possible outing at the International Island Classic in January. In spite of the set backs the bike is definitely improving with steady development but the rider is another matter altogether.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Rick, thank you for the excellent report.
While the brain cramp with the trailer obviously put a downer on the day, getting the handling sorted must be a huge relief.
"hay shed"....i love that description.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hey Rick, I'm up for a couple more hammer stories if it helps you forget about the damage to your CBX for a bit!

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”