Binding Rear Brake Suggestions?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Binding Rear Brake Suggestions?

Post by EMS »

So, here I am. I had to replace the right side foot peg bracket on my Prolink and after a test ride, the rear brake caliper did not release.
First thought, it was the caliper, but the pistons move. Then took out the master cylinder and cleaned it up. It sure needed it. Cleaned all the holes and flushed it really good.
Put everything back together and the caliper still grips the rotor and does not let go.
Will take everything apart again tomorrow , but if anybody has an idea what to look for in particular.... :think:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Binding Rear Brake Suggestions?

Post by daves79x »

As long as the M/C piston is returning to resting position when the brake lever is let off, and all components inside were reassembled correctly, then the bleed hole is still plugged. Also check the spindle pivot in the new footplate for sticking/catching.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I had a brake hose cause this on another vehicle this past winter. Apparently there was a "flap" of rubber acting as a check valve internally. Cost nearly $100 for a 3' hose. Specialty items suck money out of your wallet.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Ya, given that this occurred post bracket swap, maybe disconnect the pedal from the MC and check the lever pivot action. Mine was damn near immovable when I bought my bike.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks guys!
The brake pivot moves freely. I am inclined to believe that the changing of the bracket and the brake issue are unrelated and the problem occurred coincidentally.
The bleed hole was open. I stuck a carb jet cleaning wire through it.
I will have to check the mechanics of the piston movement and make sure it does return fully upon pedal release.
I may swap the mc to see if the problem persists.
It's friggin' annoying. :roll:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

It might be the square shouldered seal in the MC but I think Rick could be on the right track with the brake line deteriorating from the inside, you'll know when you swap the MC.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff:

The brake lines are a year old and braided stainless steel, so that can be ruled out.
What "square shouldered seal" in the MC do you mean? There is one cup seal on the spring and one seal on the piston.
What effect would the bad seal have? If the piston goes all the way back to the rest position neither seal is in play. :think:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:think: :think: Problem solved......or not :?
When checking the whole layout once more, I found that the arm on the brake pivot that pulls on the brake light switch, hit against the inside of the frame on the right, preventing the pedal to go all the way up and the piston in the mc go all the way back. I never understood why the Sport Kit needs a different brake pivot with the brake light switch arm bent differently to move it closer to the frame.

After I corrected that, I tried the brake and pushed back the pistons in the caliper several times. Worked at first and then stopped again. Out with the mc and open it up and find the bleed hole plugged again. Cleande that out and now it works....but how long. :think: :?: :?: I'm afraid there is some crap in the circuit that clogs the bleed hole.....

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:Jeff:

The brake lines are a year old and braided stainless steel, so that can be ruled out.
What "square shouldered seal" in the MC do you mean? There is one cup seal on the spring and one seal on the piston.
What effect would the bad seal have? If the piston goes all the way back to the rest position neither seal is in play. :think:
I'm referring to the square shouldered seal in the piston bore of the caliper, if it gets enough crud in the grove that it seats in it won't roll the brake piston back away from the rotor when you release the brake arm like its design to and the pad will drag.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

So you're saying you finally found out why the sport kit brake spindle has to be differently shaped?

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:So you're saying you finally found out why the sport kit brake spindle has to be differently shaped?

Dave
:-) :-) On the contrary, Dave. I see no reason why. It makes the whole set-up worse as the tip of the arm where the brake light switch hooks into sits too close to the frame.
Let me theorize:
The "Sport Kit" set-up was the original design. Then Honda did a redesign just for the U.S. and Canada. During this process, they improved the brake arm pivot.
I have always said that you can use the U.S. brake pivot with the "Sport Kit" and you would have no problem.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've never had a problem using the sport kit spindle with the sport kit and I've installed at least a dozen of them. I understand the stock one will work, but Honda designed a separate one for a reason.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote: I'm referring to the square shouldered seal in the piston bore of the caliper, if it gets enough crud in the grove that it seats in it won't roll the brake piston back away from the rotor when you release the brake arm like its design to and the pad will drag.
I had a couple of caliper rebuild kits in my parts stash and decided to redo the caliper - just to be on the safe side! 8)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:I've never had a problem using the sport kit spindle with the sport kit and I've installed at least a dozen of them. I understand the stock one will work, but Honda designed a separate one for a reason.

Dave
The only difference is the brake light switch arm. The location of the pivot relative to the end of the spring is the only concern. I would think that the "Sport Kit" part does not work with the U.S. brackets and that's why Honda redesigned the pivot.
Maybe mine was a little bent and that was enough to hit the frame. The non-Sport Kit pivot moves the arm further away from the frame.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

At the risk of sounding like someone else you may know, trying to drive a point home :mrgreen: , I took the time to compare the two brake pivots to see what difference there actually is!
I came to the conclusion, that all differences. except one, are almost irrelevant. They will have no affect on fit or function.
Except for the bent in the spring arm that will move the end of the hook significantly away from the frame. Exactly where I had my issue.
I stand by my theory. The Sport Kit pivot was there before and what we call the "stock" pivot in the U.S. is a later, improved version.
Judge for yourself. ( and you can use any DOT spec brake fluid you want :lol: )

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”