Stainless Brake Lines for The X: Great Sourcing Alternative

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

i think i have a solution that might help members on sourcing stainless lines so i am going to post it rather than wait for the question

if you have neat solution on any cbx matter ......pleassssssssssssssse post it vs waiting for the q. it helps us all and increases the size of the icoa tech help library

>>>>>

bottom line: check your phone book yellow pages for light aircraft parts suppliers in your area most of which have braided line and all the various fittings.

call ahead with what you need and ask if they will cut the line for you which most will so you end up with lines exactly the length you want/need and with them cutting them will avoid frayed braiding if your hacksaw blade is not quite up to the job

they also might have longer master cylinder bolt if you want to run both lines from there vs going into the junction box with one line. take your cbx master cylinder bolt with you to verify the threading with their bolts.

the fittings at the light aircraft shop i went to were brass, i think, and of superior quality which one expects when buying aircraft quality parts

cost was less than $100 and i got exactly what i wanted

sooooo....i took the old lines in, they cut the new lines for me..... plus gave me a booklet on prep/installation.... and in 10 minutes i was on my way.

mike
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

SS Brake line info

Post by jt »

Good post Mike,

I had seen Tom Neimeyer set up he did for his 79X and he showed me how easy it was to do. You can also find or have ordered what you need from a good Automotive Speed shop also. I ordered mine online from American Street Rod http://www.amstreetrod.com/catalog.html . They supply Earl's Performance fittings. I am going to run both lines from the m/c down to a set of rebuilt dual piston calipers. Cost for parts was around $70. for 6' of SS line and four banjo fittings. I bought extra line to eventually do the rear brake line.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just to keep this one up front. Could prove useful to a number of us.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I bought Spiegler and Fischer Stainless steel braided brake lines in Germany in the past for $105.00 the complete set front and rear. Due to the angle of the banjo fitting, the Prolink lines differ slightly from the early ones although they can both fit either application. I had two sets left over and tried to sell them on ebay for that price and nobody wanted them.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Strange thing about e-bay Mike. I posted a CBX item and couldn`t get $10 for it. Posted it again a month later and got $38 for it.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re:

Post by spencer »

EMS wrote:I bought Spiegler and Fischer Stainless steel braided brake lines in Germany in the past for $105.00 the complete set front and rear. Due to the angle of the banjo fitting, the Prolink lines differ slightly from the early ones although they can both fit either application. I had two sets left over and tried to sell them on ebay for that price and nobody wanted them.
Do you still have those brake line sets for sale? Are they covered with black vinyl? I am looking for a set of stainless braided lines for my '79, but I would prefer that they be black.

Spencer
SCH Rochester, MN

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Stainless Brake Lines for The X: Great Sourcing Alterna

Post by Rick Pope »

Pssttt.... Spence.... heat shrink tubing. 8)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Rick Pope wrote:Pssttt.... Spence.... heat shrink tubing. 8)
Yes, I thought about that. If you use shrink tubing big enough to fit over the banjo fittings, it might not shrink down enough to be tight. Also, I don't think shrink tubing is as durable as vinyl. I'm not discounting it completely. What I really would like to get is stainless steel, vinyl coat, and with the other protective rubber fittings which are on stock lines. They would look like the lines Tims has for $195 but stainless steel. Like these:

SCH Rochester, MN

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've made several sets of braided lines from a kit my brother has. I don't know his supplier, but he buys fittings and line seperately and makes each line to fit. The ends are screwed together, so you can turn the banjo to where it doesn't try to twist the line. You also can slip something like fuel line over the braided during assembly for that stock appearance.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”