Aftermarket Brakes for CBX

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Randall

Very nice .....indeed.

I would like to see even more pix when you guys have some time. Some of the entire bike if possible

I think this would be a great article for the Xpress......not just the brakes, but your entire bike. Would you consider emailing or pm Jan on this so the entire membership can see it.

I for one would like to see this bike and the brakes at Randalls upcoming rally in VA later this month. For full details on this rally go to this link:

viewtopic.php?t=4717

Great job

Mike
Last edited by Mike Barone #123 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

Mike:

Yes. Very hard to judge the aesthetics since the only pix posted so far (above) have been from Dan's "test buck."

I'll try to post some pix soon of the actual install on my bike. Might be a while as I swamped with work. No complaints here, but the normal seasonality of my business seems to "out the window."

I considered powder coating the brackets, but decided the brackets were too "trick" to hide. My bike is an '81, so the black / silver theme was perpetuated. I think it looks super.

Having paid the bill for these killer brakes, I personally wouldn't call them "homemade" per a post above. :) Dan Fischer is a master fabricator. Due to the tight clearances, most (including me) would have given up on this project...not Dan!

Mounting hardware was a "form follows function" deal. My main concern was safety and performance not appearance. There were many subtle refinements to the install hardware on the actual install. Again, inpossible to judge based on the prototype build-up photos shown above, but it turned out great.

By the way, Dan will be at my Rally. That would be a good time to interview him. I will have 2 of my bikes there with his brake creations.
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Founder & Chief Executive Rider
Randakk's Cycle Shakk, LLC
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

Per Mike Barone's request...

More details here:

http://www.randakks.com/CBX%20Farkles.htm
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sweeet.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Randakk wrote:Per Mike Barone's request...

Hi Randall

Looks even better on the bike ...factory infact. Amazing...indeed and great job.

>>>>>>

Certainly looks and should work alot better than the 10 piston conversion on the ole Dawgie now ....per pix below. Maybe Dan, others or you would like to comment on this setup.

dgfischer
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by dgfischer »

NICE!!!
That is one beautiful CBX,

I really hope you didn't name it "Farkles" though. :!: :shock: :lol:

Mike Barone #123 wrote: Certainly looks and should work alot better than the 10 piston conversion on the ole Dawgie now ....per pix below. Maybe Dan, others or you would like to comment on this setup.

Nice....
I think.....
Maybe......
Just the added weight should slow you down some... :P

Randakk
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Randakk »

dgfischer wrote:
NICE!!!
That is one beautiful CBX,

I really hope you didn't name it "Farkles" though. :!: :shock: :lol:
No, but you've given me an interesting idea. Normally, I name all my bikes after famous (or infamous) women.

Current or past bikes include Marilyn, Dolly, Bertha, Elsie, etc., etc. You might notice that I'm inclined toward names that tilt a bit toward serious "top ends."

This CBX has not spoken to me sufficiently to earn a name yet.
Pinehurst, NC USA
www.randakks.com

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Brakes

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

The informations fantastic, lots of good tips. Thanks
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Re: Aftermarket Brakes for CBX

Post by Dave Ditner »

Dunlop made some sintered pads some time ago but I don't know if they're still in production or not. Might be a quick cheap upgrade.

CBXTony USA wrote:Does anyone know if Brembo makes an aftermarket kit for front/rear brakes for the CBX?

Or, any other manufacturer out there that may make a big brake kit?

Thanks!
CBXTony USA
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

For pads ....I would recommend talking to a company that sells various pads for racing and street

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ = Yoyodyne

I would also ask Yoyodyne to bring you up to date on Performance Friction pads which I think are used by Jordon now...and have been used by every AMA superbike factory team except Honda in the past. Sadly, Performance Friction also comes with worlds worst marketing program for bike pads ....which I guess they think is offset by massive efforts in car racing.

http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/cycles.htm
Performance Friction

In any event....not cheap, hard to find..........but worth it.

Just an idea to consider

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Dunlop Pads

Post by CBXRoger »

Dunlop Pads (DP) are still available on the Internet. I have them on my 100,000 mile '82 CBX in Wisconsin and on my low mileage '81 CBX drag racer here in Hawaii. I saw them at a National Rally years ago and ordered the first set from my local Suzuki bike shop. When they came in, the dealer remarked that they were motocross brake pads. Excellent in the rain.

When I had the original pads, the ones that squealed all the time, in the rain, they were useless. First the pads hydroplaned on the water on the disk. When you finally applied enough pressure to get the pad to touch the disk, they wanted to stop the front tire. Not good in the rain.

I also had them on my Gold Wing sidecar rig that I brought my Grandson to Marlinton in.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Rick Pope wrote:Randakk,
I'm not a trained engineer, but I have a question that's bugging me.

Have you considered that the bolts holding this assembly to the wheel now will have a much greater force acting upon them? They were originally designed with a margin of safety, but with this much braking force, you might exceed that margin, by a bunch. It would be SO disappointing to grab a fist full of brake and shear those bolts.

That said, it sure looks nice.
hey rick,
One does not have to be an engineer to work the math on this one. For the absolute maximum we'll take the shear strength( have to guess at steel properties, see Machinery's Handbook ) and multiply it by the area of the bolts. We'll have a number in pounds...now how far away from the axle is the bolt circle? Again we multiply( sugest taking this number as a fraction of a foot. Now multiply by two since we've got two sets of bolt heads to shear off. I suspect you'll find more torque available than even a well heated Comp K with a much fatter contact patch could stand...:)

Now to refine it, get a Sophomore ME strength of materials book and adjust for single shear loading, and a better guess at steel properties for starters...:)
cheers,
Douglas

sbinplano

Post by sbinplano »

My '82 has EBC Pro Lite rotors with stock calipers and Russell braided lines and stops just fine for street applications. Don't know about racing applications.

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sixofsix »

...well, I just saw a CBX with brand new Performance Machine calipers mounted on adapter plates on 81/82 39 mm forks on a 79 CBX at Morro Bay. The fellow bought them brand new not New Old Stock. Looked exactly like the Performance Machine calipers on the green twin nitrious CBX I used to own, originally done in 1990. So PM still offers these, and I recall they were mated with the EBC discs currently available for the CBX. I know it does not help on this project, but just an option for others. #006

Eganed

Post by Eganed »

Hi,
I want to inform you about the place where you can get used brembo brakes easily and much cheaper from the market.
Its name is autoanything. the web
Thanks

Geo Super Live Streaming

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”