How do these rotors look?

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How do these rotors look?

Post by Dynamohum »

It’s been years since I’ve had an 82 and it had over 106,000 miles on it and I can’t recall what those rotors looked like. These are from an 82 with 34,000 miles that I’m looking at in a week or so. Judging from the pictures, the rear especially, looks pretty grooved. Is it or could it just be the picture? Anyone have one handy to look at, maybe take a photo? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: How do these rotors look?

Post by daves79x »

They look fine to me for 30,000 miles

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

If I can feel the grooving with my fingernail, I have them re-surfaced.

Tom at Truedisk.net can do that for you, if needed.
Drilling available too.

https://truedisk.net/

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As Dave said, "they look fine". Groove appearance is deceiving. Measure them Front: 14mm new, 13 mm service limit. Rear: 7mm new, 6mm service limit. Likely just put some new pads onto them and purge the old brake fluid.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Thanks. The MCs are rebuilt and it does have new pads and fluid. Can’t wait to see it but if I buy it I’ll be riding it home some 200+ miles. I’d like to wait for a clear day instead of my first ride being in the rain.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

The ride home will be one you will remember forever! I bought my 82 sight unseen (I did hear it run over the phone!) in 2004, flew to the seller who picked me up at the airport and brought me to his house/the bike. He treated me to lunch and then I rode the CBX back to my house. Almost 600 miles. In April. 2 days after a 3 inch snowfall, through Ohio, Pennsylvania and upstate New York backroads. I did overtake a Harley Davidson 18 wheeler, with the driver giving me a thumbs up as I went by. It was a great day, and I still have her around 25,000 miles later! Enjoy!

Going back on topic - those rotors look fine. Do complete a short ride around the block before you head home to make sure the charging system is doing what it should.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Relative to Steve's comment about the charging system: At home, examine all the connectors in the charging circuit. Disassemble them and clean both male and female well. Then reassemble with generous coating of silicone grease. Corrosion, THE LEAST AMOUNT, in these connections is a major issue/problem in proper charging operation of the CBX system. Particularly, the large connector behind the right side cover. But, get them all.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “BRAKES: Calipers, Pads, Lines, Rotors, Upgrades & Fixes”