New footpeg rubber vendor

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New footpeg rubber vendor

Post by NobleHops »

There is a gent by the name of Wim that has reproduced the footpeg rubbers - they look excellent and several CBXers have successfully glued them to their footpeg bases with products similar to shoe goo.

Phil put us in touch with Wim (lives in Holland) and this was info from Wim about the products:

"The shipping for one pair is 4,50 euro for two till four pairs the
shipping is 7,20.Price for one pair is 45,=euro.
My paypal address is wim9060 [at] gmail [dot] com"

I sent Wim a note and encouraged him to sign up here and post, but you can certainly feel free to contact him directly to order the parts if you like. He will send a PayPal invoice from what I know.

Note that these are NOT the parts with the pocket and insert like the ones I used to refurb mine. These are solid and glue to the bases you have (after you strip them), just like Honda used and are indistinguishable to the eye from the stockers, to me.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New footpeg rubber vendor

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote: just like Honda used and are indistinguishable to the eye from the stockers, to me.

I have a pair of these from Wim. He advertised them originally for the CB1100R. That's how I got them. I think the rubber is identical to the CBX pegs.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:
NobleHops wrote: just like Honda used and are indistinguishable to the eye from the stockers, to me.
I have a pair of these from Wim. He advertised them originally for the CB1100R. That's how I got them. I think the rubber is identical to the CBX pegs.
We swapped emails a few minutes ago, and he will be along shortly when he has a chance. I have a spare set of pegs I got from Tom N that I think I will refurbish with these.

Kudos to Phil for putting the CBX community in touch with him.

N.
Nils Menten

Pistonman
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Pistonman »

:text-goodpost:

I sent a mail too.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I got a set from Wim also - just excellent. The adhesive he recommends - Sika 552 is available over here also, but I haven't got around to it yet. I'm sure 3-M makes a suitable adhesive also, but I haven't checked into it. Sika is a bit pricey for all you need.

Dave

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Here's a message I posted on the adhesive:
I researched the Sikaflex 552 material and thought I could find a local alternative of a similar type.
We use several structural adhesives at work (aircraft transparencies), and I had one picked out to try. I checked with the manufacturer, and they suggested this:

TS800MB-2

I had already prepped my parts for the structural adhesive. The aluminum parts were cleaned, alodined, and a couple of coats of epoxy clear, except on the rubber bonding area. The rubbers were sanded, and cleaned with some IPA.

The adhesive is thick, like syrup, and will fill in any gaps. The finished product:

Seems to be a pretty strong, complete bond. In fact, I had masked the rubber and aluminum so that I would not get any of the structural adhesive on them. When using the rubber toughened CA, it was not necessary. In fact, where some of the CA got onto the masking tape, it was nearly impossible to remove. If you decide to go this route, maybe forget the tape.

Barry

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Barry, thanks a ton for posting those pics. A thousand words and all that. I just put a call into the manufacturer to see about buying 1-oz bottles to go along with the rubbers with the group buy.

In case anybody missed it, Wim has very graciously agreed to support us with a group buy at a discounted price, and the shipping cost should jump a bunch down for the participants that way too. I started a thread about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8770

...but by all means feel free to order direct from Wim if you want to get your oars in the water sooner.

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

P.S. How many sets do you reckon that 1 oz bottle would do Barry?
Nils Menten

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

All of them.
seriously.

Wim has some concerns about the durability of a CA adhesive and still recommends the construction adhesive as he has personally tested it. Myself and a couple of others have used CA type glue, but I have no miles on mine as the project is still on the lift. Maybe someone else has some experience to contribute here.

But as far as I can tell the CA provides a really strong bond that does not seem to break when the rubber flexes. I think it is still up to the individual to choose an adhesive.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

If it's been a while for it to cure, are you feeling frisky enough to walk up to the bike and give that footpeg rubber a good hard squeeze/twist/pull?

I'll be here holding my breath, please let me know when you're finished. :)
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

P.S. I did find a dealer/distributor online that sells the stuff in the itty-bitty tubes that one ordinarily sees Krazy Glue and its ilk sold in, for a lot less then the $17 that one ounce tube sells for, hence the question.

BTW do I guess correctly that CA is short for cyanoacrylate, aka similar stuff to good-ol' KrazyGlue?
Nils Menten

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

NobleHops wrote:If it's been a while for it to cure, are you feeling frisky enough to walk up to the bike and give that footpeg rubber a good hard squeeze/twist/pull?

I'll be here holding my breath, please let me know when you're finished. :)
Frisky?
I tried again today, just like when I first glued these on. There's no way I can pull them off. Nor can I peel or roll the rubber loose.

Barry

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Very cool Barry, thanks.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Bumpity
Nils Menten

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”