CBX ENGINE REBUILDER

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX ENGINE REBUILDER

Post by bigsixman »

This is my first post on the site. Does anyone know of a reputable shop than can do a complete rebuild on a 79 CBX engine? I would sure appreciate any help from other CBX owners.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Welcome to the site bigsixman!! :D

Why do you want to rebuild it?What happened to it?What have you already done with it?What have others done with it?Where are you?Do you want to ship it or deliver it?Or can somebody come and help you fix it?Can we see some pics?

Please tell us!! Inquiring minds want to know.

All here are willing to help.

Steve

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

Thanks SteveG for the quick reply.
I have two 79 CBXs both with about 10,000 original miles on each. The red one had the original motor damaged due to a hydro locked #1 cylinder and had the motor replaced with a 7,000 mile 79 motor by the original owner. It makes mechanical noise (clutch?) at idle and the carbs need to be sync. I bought a carb tune and I hope to adjust them when the weather warms up.(MN) It has not been touched except for the engine change out. I have owned it two years and only serviced it. I do not want to damage the motor and nobody my way will work on old bikes' and tackle a motor rebuild. I have 10 old bikes and can do about everything except motors and paint. I would ship it or deliver it if the motor needs work. I am an old timer, so I do not know how to send pix, this is about my limit on a computer.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Having two myself (79 & 82) with a total of 142,000 miles between them, it sounds like all you may need is a valve check or adjustment and a carb sync. Surprising how a good carb synch can quiet the motor but even so, the clutch rattle at idle is noisy at times on the early models. Good luck in finding a mechanic somewhere close.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: CBX ENGINE REBUILDER

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

bigsixman wrote:This is my first post on the site. Does anyone know of a reputable shop than can do a complete rebuild on a 79 CBX engine? I would sure appreciate any help from other CBX owners.
The help you need is about a month or so away .....and face to face.... in Minnesota. :thumupp:

Every year in April a dedicated group of ICOA members and CBXers have a tech session in Minnesota and I think they will be glad to meet you and help.

Below is a link to this rally and contact information from the one two years ago. Give Jeff Winter a call........and let us know how it all turns out for you.

viewtopic.php?t=2400

Let me know if you need any more help with the contact info/whatever

Best

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site bigsixman... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bigsixman wrote:Thanks SteveG for the quick reply.
I have two 79 CBXs both with about 10,000 original miles on each. The red one had the original motor damaged due to a hydro locked #1 cylinder and had the motor replaced with a 7,000 mile 79 motor by the original owner. It makes mechanical noise (clutch?) at idle and the carbs need to be sync. I bought a carb tune and I hope to adjust them when the weather warms up.(MN) It has not been touched except for the engine change out. I have owned it two years and only serviced it. I do not want to damage the motor and nobody my way will work on old bikes' and tackle a motor rebuild. I have 10 old bikes and can do about everything except motors and paint. I would ship it or deliver it if the motor needs work. I am an old timer, so I do not know how to send pix, this is about my limit on a computer.
Nothing here that indicates you need a motor rebuild :? :? Is the noise prevalent mainly at idle? You can live with the clutch noise and may have to, to an extend unless you install a Prolink clutch. Part of the mechanical noise in the 79 motors comes from the primary shaft. With 10,000 or so miles you should have really no problem unless the bikes have been raced hard.

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

I really appreciate the help from you guys. I am going to make the spring ICOA rally in Mpls. in April. My big concern is hurting the motor. My other old Japanese bikes do not make anything close to this kind of engine noise. I bought a 79 CBX new back in the day, and sold it in 1982, and it made no unusual noise. I just want to be carefull and not over look a potential engine problem. Thanks for the replies to my post.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I look forward to meeting you in April. I plan to be at the Spring Fling too.
SCH Rochester, MN

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

I will be looking forward to seeing you too. Looks like it's warmer up here than down your way!

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”