CBX MECHANIC NORTH TEXAS AREA

Companies or individuals that provide parts/accessories/services for our CBXs.

texas-ss-tornado

Re: CBX MECHANIC NORTH TEXAS AREA

Post by texas-ss-tornado »

EMS wrote:Sounds like you found a great bike to restore. 8) 8) What happened to the '81 you posted about earlier?
Once I got it running, I realized I was in over might head a little, it smoked like a freight train and had a bottem end knock in it, I sold it to a friend of mine who parked it in the corner of his garage, pulled the motor out, and still doesn't have it back together, 2 years later! He's in no hurry though, so it's all good!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation. I don't look under this topic much. Perhaps you can post your next update under a new topic in general discussion - then specific questions later under the appropriate tech topic. The only reason is to get the most looks and responses.

Anyway, welcome to the site and looks like you've found a great project. I'm assuming you've had it running as it is right now? What are your plans for the restoration? Keeping it mostly stock or some upgrades? As Mike said, hit us up here for your parts and tech needs first, you'd be surprised at what guys here have in the way of bits you'll need.

You are obviously familiar with this vintage of Honda bikes and with restoration. Seems you have the shop manual also, which is good. Attempting to do things on these bikes without one can get expensive.

I really enjoyed reading your story so far - keep us posted and as Nils said, we're here to help!

Dave

texas-ss-tornado

Post by texas-ss-tornado »

Well, I just spend 12 hours in the garage working on the 79 and 80 CBX's, got a fresh set of carbs from Dave McMunn in Pennsylvania, they were PERFECT! Anyways, the 79 that I've had since February, we tried the carbs on that bike first. No bueno. For some reason, after we got the carbs on and started turning it over, the motor completely STOPPED turning! Have no idea why, I suspect a valve train issue, if you remember correctly, this motor was locked up when I first got it, and I had literally given it a 50/50 chance of having a good motor. Well, it's toast. Took the carbs back off, and started in on the 80 model, put her on the lift, and within about an hour, had the carbs on it. Fired it up, and she runs awesome. Change the oil and filter and rode her around the neighborhood, motor sounds awesome, one of the front brake calipers is sticking, but with a little TLC, she'll be road worth in no time! So, I am happy to say that at least ONE of my CBX's is now running! So, that leaves me with a 79 that I will most likely part out, and a TON of extra parts. I have another set of 79 CBX carbs being rebuilt right now that I will have no use for, so I will sell them here on the forum. I have a bunch of nice parts from that 79, including a NICE Candy Glory red rear cowl in near mint condition, another nice stock seat, stock 79 gauges showing 20K miles, all kinds of goodies. I'm now going to send my 80 tank and front fender off for paint, and finish working out the bugs and riding her around a bit. She really ran pretty good for being off the road about 5 years. Only a little smoke upon start up, but cleared up after we changed the oil and let her run for a spell. By the way, why didn't anyone ever mention that 79 and 80 tanks are NOT interchangable? I tried to put my 79 tank on the 80 and the front mounts, where the rubber bushing are, are not compatible? The 80 model has a long post sticking through the rubber bumpers, and the 80 tank mounts are slotted. My 80 tanks is a mess inside, and since I already had the 79 tank relined, I broke out the trust tremel and slotted the mounts by myself, got it fit nicely after that. I have never read ANYWHERE on this forum that 79 and 80 tanks are in any way different, guess I learn something new every day. So anyway, 1 out of 2 ain't bad, I had really only planned on keeping one, and I'm glad it's the Japanese built 80 model that is the solid one that I will finish restoring. Feel free to start inquiring about the 79 parts, I would like to avoid eBay if at all possible. Overall, a LONG day in the garage, but at least now I know where I stand and can concentrate on finishing the 80 model!!!!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Glad the carbs worked out OK. They will work fine on the '80. Yes the first 3000 or so '79 tanks had no cutout since those frames didn't have the projections. All other '79 and '80 tanks have the cutout. You did it the hard way - I just whack off the ears on the frame flush with the rubbers. There are a couple of other differences in the '79 and '80 tanks. The screws holding the badges on are 3MM on the '79 and 4MM on the '80. The original badges were slightly different between the 2 years also, but only 422 part numbers are still available. You just have to drill out the holes slightly for the 4MM screws. The fuel caps are different - '79 has a plastic black top and the '80 is steel. Also, the outlet on the petcock is 3/8 inch on the '80 and 1/4 on the '79. The petcock also has a different strainer and standpipe height between the two years.

Most of this has been mentioned along the way somewhere, but it would have been hard to search up all of it in one place.

Now I would suggest doing a careful complete check of the '80 engine. Valve adjustment, cam chain adjustment, timing check, new plugs, change oil and filter again (only Honda filters please!) and clean the sump and screen. Service the alternator completely as outlined here many times. Carefully check and tighten the plug caps and coil connections. Don't be tempted to just run it without doing all the required service, since you have no service history. All that is going to take some time, but needs done.

I'm glad the '80 is going to be your keeper, but don't give up on getting the '79 going just yet. Check it over a bit to see just what may be wrong - if you find out, at least you'll know what you're selling!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I agree with Dave! Don't part the '79 out right away. Give her another chance!
Considering all the parts you have, even trying to find a replacement engine may be worth it.

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ahlenius1 »

Rick owner of the motorcycle Shop in Hurst Texas fantastic guyhttp://www.cbxclub.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=1028#

Return to “CBX Parts & Accessory Suppliers, Dealerships, Mechanics, OEM Parts, Speciality CBX Shops”