Process to Replace Pro-Link Windshield

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Process to Replace Pro-Link Windshield

Post by ezridermn »

I want to apologize in advance for asking a question that is probably already answered on this forum. Though I looked around and have not been able to find it. I have an 82 CBX with a cracked windshield. I have purchased a replacement and am getting ready to install it. However, I don't want to dive in without knowing how to do it.

Is there a thread on this forum that details how to remove the old windshield and install the new one? If there isn't already a thread on this matter can you please give me some insight on how I should approach it?

Thanks in advance for the help!
1982 Honda CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Process to Replace Pro-Link Windshield

Post by EMS »

:D :D I am not sure whether there is anything about this on the site, but I have replaced a windshield on my 81 and I can tell you it is a pain!
The bolts screw into nuts on the inside and two of them, one on each side, are of a special design with a metal extension on them, so you can hold on to them and get them into position. A set of forceps comes in handy.
Make yourself some room on the inside of the fairing. take out as much as you can to get to the nuts.
Have fun! ;-)

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

You need a ten year old with small hands :-)
Good luck.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Thanks guys. I digested your comments and then took another look at things on the bike. That leads me to another question. Do I need to take the fairing apart to get it done or is the challenge to reach through the opening in the the rear lower part of the fairing and get my hands/forceps on the nuts?

Sorry for not getting it yet. On the surface I thought it looked easy. Take the screws out and put them back in...boom new windshield. Now that I know I have to deal with nuts on the other side it looks like a real challenge. The more you can describe the process to me the better I will know how to go about putting the new windshield on my bike.

Thanks.
1982 Honda CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It can be done with the fairing on the bike, but taking the fairing off would make it easier. The nuts that are the hardest to get to are the ones on the front corners, around where the mirrors are.
There is really no detailed procedure or description. Just bolts and nuts. Lefty loosey, righty tighty..

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Take the fairing pockets out and you can get them all through there. I never had a problem and recall it being about a 10-minute job, but it's been a while since I changed one.

Dave

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Hey Dave,

I took the pockets out and was able to reach the inside fasteners. Good tip! Just some comments for those who might come across this thread in the future with the intent of replacing the windshield. I am a 5' 9" average size guy and my forearms fit through the pocket holes...just barely. My arms got scraped up a bit but I don't know how else you would be able to get to the front screw nuts without taking the fairing off the bike.

I was told the font nuts would be the hardest to get to. Going through the pockets made them relatively easy to get at. It was the screws second from the bottom that I found the most difficult. The screws attach themselves to a metal plate of sort on the inside of the fairing. The metal plate is loose when not screwed in by the the windshield screw and I found it difficult to match the screw up with the plate while I had my arm twisted up through the pocket hole.

So much so that in the end I got six of the screws back in just fine. The ones in the second holes from the bottom never got installed. I am guessing I am going to have to take the fairing off to get them in.

Thanks, Bob
1982 Honda CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

ezridermn wrote: . It was the screws second from the bottom that I found the most difficult. The screws attach themselves to a metal plate of sort on the inside of the fairing. The metal plate is loose when not screwed in by the the windshield screw and I found it difficult to match the screw up with the plate while I had my arm twisted up through the pocket hole.

Thanks, Bob
These were the ones I was talking about.
and two of them, one on each side, are of a special design with a metal extension on them, so you can hold on to them and get them into position

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

And you were completely correct. I'm sitting here with scrapes up and down my arms and still didn't get one of the metal plates re-attached. I am going into restoration mode this fall and will be taking the fairing off the bike for paint. Hopefully, when I put it back together the metal plate will be easier to install at that time.

Thanks for the insight and help!
1982 Honda CBX

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”