Throttle Loss

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Throttle Loss

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Gas cap vent is my 'guess', too. I've experienced similar problem with my '82. Did some more tinkering with the cap this past Winter. Haven't had the opportunity to try it, yet. Will do in a couple weeks. Let you know what happens; and, if it works, what I did. Seems that pulling off the side of the road and waiting a few minutes, things just start up and go. Sometimes, it will 'self resolve' on the road while running for a 1/2 mile or so as though it were starving . Runs at about 40 mph at WOT. Then, just comes back up. Although, mine did totally stop once.

One other thing, check the small filter screen in the bowl on the petcock. That's a small area fine mesh screen. Wouldn't take much to partially block it.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Patriotprop wrote:Gas cap, gas cap, gas cap. Your vent is clogged. Already fixed this twice this year on some of my fleet
I just went out and pulled the gas cap off but I don't see a vent. Could you please let me know what I am looking for. Once I locate this vent is there a way to verify if it is clogged or not? I presume the fix for a clogged vent would be as simple as spraying with carb cleaning? When I started riding again this past month after a long winter I did notice quite a bit of ''thick'' fuel under the cap that covers the gas cap key hole. Not sure if that is related. I stored the gas tank with ethanol free fuel all winter long.
whatscooking wrote:When you did the carb re-build did you take the ground wire loose from the battery to the starter body I think it is, I have read some do I don't might look there. If you still have the dog bone fuse at the start relay they make trouble. If it goes dead on you again look to see if the headlight is out.
I am carrying extra starter relay fuses on the bike as I have already had one fall apart on me when I first got this bike. Prior to putting the carbs back on I made sure this wire connection was tight and clean.

I will be leaving for Buffalo on Thursday.

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

The vent is built in the gas cap itself. All you can do is when you are having this problem open your cap part way and if it is the vent your problem will go away.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Guys - go back to Patrick's original statement: SUDDEN THROTTLE LOSS! Bad gas cap vent, running out of gas, any other fuel issue DOES NOT lead to sudden throttle loss. It is electrical and highly likely the ignition switch. Patrick - it won't be the connector you cleaned at the bottom of the switch - it is the switch internals themselves, which you cannot see. If it happens while on the road home - reach up and wiggle the key - I'll bet the bike picks right up again. If that's the case, when you get home, buy a new switch base - you don't need the whole replacement switch. That way, you can keep your same tumbler and key.

The cap has an internal vent system. Best cleaned if the cap is off - a pain with the Pro-Links. If you have a spare key - keep it in the cap lock and snap the cap open if the bike quits on the road. But that's not your problem.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I agree with you Dave. From what he says how everything happened I don't think it is fuel either. I think he is grasping for any ideas that way when he is stranded he has a idea what to check. I have been there and I am sure everybody else has been there also. I hope he makes it home without any issues.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Agree, Dave. If it is sudden/complete loss, then it's electrical. No question. Just thought I'd mention the tank vent thing in case his meaning of sudden wasn't quite so 'sudden'.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Another $.02

Replacement Honda ignition switch bases are a little scarce. I installed an EMGO, but the plastic they use is softer and the teeny fang that catches the base of the metal cylinder rounded off immediately, and did not click in there positively (this will make sense when you remove the cylinder to look at it). I ended up taking the internals of the EMGO and putting it into the Honda plastic piece. If I had it to do over I'd bite the bullet and go with the Honda part.

Last last thought. It might be repairable as is. Open it up, clean it out, see what you find.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Having reviewed many times what happened, I agree that it must be electrical as well. The loss of throttle was definitely sudden. Nothing abnormal was happening prior. If it hadn't happened the second time I would dismiss it as perhaps hand fatigue and I slipped off the throttle. I am sure if it was fuel related it would progressively worsen and show up while I took her out for a few rides here in Indianapolis.

Thanks again for all the assistance. I certainly have a better idea now on what to do if this happens again on the return trip. When I get home my first step will be to investigate the ignition.

Patrick

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

In any case Patrick - good luck on your trip home and if you get stuck anywhere near Erie, PA, give me a shout.

Dave

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Well, Gentlemen, I made it back home late last night. There was no ''throttle loss'' for the entire trip home. She rode absolutely fantastic with only one glitch showing up. The left side controls started to act up....turn signals sometimes working and sometimes not and occasionally when switching from high to low beam the lights would entirely go out. Disconcerting when on the highways and back country roads on the way home. I do wonder if this is related to my previous problem. At any rate, looks like I will be investigating the left controls and ignition switch.

Here are some trip stats...

1215 total miles
avg. speed of 70-75mph at 5,000-5,400 rpm
38 mpg for the entire trip
1/2 qt of oil used
at least 50 people driving by giving me a thumbs up

Thank you for all of the input everybody gave me.

Patrick

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Patrick, glad to hear there was only a minor snafu on the return trip.
The iffy turn signals and lights make me think about the battery and charging system.

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:.....The iffy turn signals and lights make me think about the battery and charging system.
Thanks, Steve. I feel confident that this one is related to the switch itself. Battery is new this season. I upgraded from a 270cca to a 310cca. Last season I put in new brushes and scotchbrited the plates in the alternator and made sure the spring wasn't sacked. Voltmeter is reading a solid 13+ while riding. I'm assuming the switch won't be too difficult to service when I get into it.

Patrick

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

I took my LH switch apart and cleaned and greased. My turn signals and lights were still going on and off although I have a very smooth operating switch now. Further investigation revealed that the connections to the gauges were barely on. I discovered that I had not pulled enough of the wiring harness through the fairing 'yoke' and when turning was pulling quite hard on these connections. An easy fix and all working great now. This is also quite possibly related to the issue of throttle loss while on my trip. Lesson learned...next time I take the fairing on and off I will make sure I have enough slack at the wiring harness.

Nothing left to do on this X but ride her and clean her. A great feeling. :D

Patrick

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nice detective work, Patrick and just in time for the warm weather[after tonight]

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”