Any Idea where this is from?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Any Idea where this is from?

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

I have the engine out of the frame, had taken the alternator off and had put the engine on it's left side whilst working on the right.

When I came to put the engine back upright, noticed the following on the floor by the engine:
20150423_175806.jpg
20150423_175919.jpg
It's aluminium, about 1cm diameter, and just over 1cm length - with a hole drilled thro' the middle. I assume it's from where the alternator fits onto the crankcases , but not sure. The only place it looks like it could have come from is in the crank case breather - it fits in their snugly.

Of course, it could have been on the floor for a while, so could be something totally different.

Anyone know what it is?

thanks,

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Any Idea where this is from?

Post by daves79x »

Yes - it is the plug that presses into the alternator end of the primary shaft and feeds oil to the alternator clutch plates. Don't lose it - it needs to be there. Many are lost over the years.

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Dave,

Thanks, I did wonder if it went in the primary shaft, but it didn't look a great fit. Also, couldn't find it on the parts listings either.

Does it matter which way round you insert it?

Anyway - problem solved.

Paul.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It should be very slightly tapered and that end presses into the shaft.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

It WILL make a difference in the oil flow/pressure to the trans gears. And, (catch me here Dave if wrong) to the primary chain tensioner. (And, the oil filter.) It doesn't show on the parts list because it is considered an integral part of the shaft itself -- not a 'serviceable' thing.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”