drive chain

millerjd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

drive chain

Post by millerjd »

My 79 cbx has a 630 chain. When looking for a replacement aftermarket they show a 530 for this bike. What,s the correct one?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: drive chain

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, miller.
'79 used a 630 chain.
'80, '81,'82 use a 530.

A lot of people swap to the 530. More choices and less weight are a couple reasons.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

It's worth noting that you have to change sprockets if you make this swap.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A conversion kit from Tim's is $229.00.
Fifth item down.
http://www.timscbx.com/Cables%20and%20c ... e%202.html

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Welcome Miller! I'm in your neck of the woods, just north at bit. Most everyone converts to the 530 chain and sprockets. Stronger and lighter. I think it's a 102 pin chain. Keep in mind that the adjusters are a bit short and you'll be near the end of them instead of the middle, but it works fine. The '80 with the 530 chain stock has different adjusters to compensate for this difference in chains. Holler if you need something.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Generally, if you compare a 530 chain to an equivalent rated 630 chain, you will find that the heavier pins and rollers afforded by the longer pitch will result in a stronger chain construction, and higher tensile strength. In a fixed length of chain, the 630 chain will have fewer pitches, many times resulting in less "set" or "stretch" as the chain wears. The sprockets for a 630 pitch have a matching 3/4" pitch, making the teeth larger, deeper, and stronger at the base of the tooth.

Contrary to popular belief, 530 and 630 chains are the same overall width. A 530 or 630 O-Ring chain will measure approximately 1.070" across the rivets outside to outside. (The master link will be wider by approximately .065")

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are failing to take into account the much better materials now available and put into modern 530 chains. 630 chains are dinosaurs and not used on anything these days. Tensile strengths of 530 (or even 525) chains now exceed anything available in 630, that I know of. And any 530 chain/sprocket combo is lighter than it's 630 equalivent. If 525 chains can handle 120 or more HP, I guess even a run-of-the-mill 530 can handle what a CBX puts out.

You may be very well correct, but the above reasons are why Honda, and everyone else, went to the 530 chains way back when.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

well ? most likely also the modern 630 would be used with updated materials aslo , But old school tells me More Links on a 530 would be more moving parts and stretch would be sooner, But don't get me wrong the 630 is overkill no doubt.. but i just replaced my 34 year old 630 factory O ring on my 1978 CB 750..not because of wear but O rings were dried out ..Amazing how the engineers at Honda could get my 1978 CB 750 with that BIG ole Boat anchor 630 Chain to push it through the 1/4 mile @ 12.72 seconds back in the day..may have done 10.00 second times with a 530 ? :lol: Sold the CB 750 last knight kinda sad this morning http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-Honda- ... otorcycles

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I'd guess that if all you need is a chain, it makes sense to just replace with the 630. BUT, usually, you also need the sprockets. So why bother with a 630 that's likely "good enough", when for the same money and trouble, you can get the more modern unit?

If you can get more power to the ground with less links, then I'm sure the racers use bigger chains. Hmm, how would we fit a 830? More is better, right? :o

Now to REALLY stir the pot, the smaller the chain, the more teeth we can fit in the available space (think countershaft sprocket), thus causing less rotation of each individual pin/link as it goes around, thus offsetting the greater number of links in the smaller chain. :think:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Not sure the statement that a 530 chain is stronger ? But really ? i will pass this thread to Larry and tell him he could pick up some better ET times with a 530...EK drag racing chains can rightfully be called the fastest chains in the world. Top Fuel champion Larry McBride set a world record E.T. of 5.80 seconds using the EK 630SHB chain. 8) lol

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gearheadgregg wrote:Not sure the statement that a 530 chain is stronger ?
I don't think anybody said that. What was said was, that a modern 530 chain is as strong as a 1979s 630 chain, considering advancements in technology of both materials and manufacturing.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:
Gearheadgregg wrote:Not sure the statement that a 530 chain is stronger ?
I don't think anybody said that. What was said was, that a modern 530 chain is as strong as a 1979s 630 chain, considering advancements in technology of both materials and manufacturing.
Quote> (Most everyone converts to the 530 chain and sprockets. "Stronger" and lighter) please ? give me a break lol this is as bad as a Oil thread, please lets stay focused here !

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, I did say lighter and stronger and I'll stand by that in the context we're talking about. We are talking 35 year old CBXs, and the reasons Honda (and everyone else) went to the 530 and even 525 chain/sprocket combo. Those reasons for a stock or near stock street bike are not arguable. Now if you want to talk Top Fuel, Gearhead, then start a new topic. That's all from here.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Honda HP 20-50 Oil , i tend to stay away from Anti- friction modified oils , my Barnet racing clutch will slip at full throttle in 5th gear...Damn Moly additives !

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Here is a good article about chains, Agree with your comment about mild street bike applications Dave,AMA article > Please keep in mind: smaller chain sizes provide increased performance, but reduced longevity. For a budget-minded rider, http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/news/index.cfm?cid=51567

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”