Cush Drive Bearing.

ukblade
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Cush Drive Bearing.

Post by ukblade »

Hi,

Just had a 1st proper ride out on my Prolink, since it was imported to the UK from Oklahoma.
After about an hour , when I pull away I get a "Crack........Crack" from the back wheel, at first it sounded like a misfire from the exhaust.
Rode home slowly and removed rear wheel, I knocked the bearing out of cush drive and rinsed out all the grease and it was pretty noisy so I'm going to replace this bearing.
What I want to know is, the bearing has 1 sealed face and 1 open face, can I fit a sealed bearing, i.e. both faces or should it be open to grease up periodically.
Also the 2 main bearings in the wheel itself, the spacer between these is pretty much the same diameter, how do you get a lip to knock them out?

Thanks Mark.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cush Drive Bearing.

Post by NobleHops »

ukblade wrote:Hi,

Just had a 1st proper ride out on my Prolink, since it was imported to the UK from Oklahoma.
After about an hour , when I pull away I get a "Crack........Crack" from the back wheel, at first it sounded like a misfire from the exhaust.
Rode home slowly and removed rear wheel, I knocked the bearing out of cush drive and rinsed out all the grease and it was pretty noisy so I'm going to replace this bearing.
What I want to know is, the bearing has 1 sealed face and 1 open face, can I fit a sealed bearing, i.e. both faces or should it be open to grease up periodically.
Also the 2 main bearings in the wheel itself, the spacer between these is pretty much the same diameter, how do you get a lip to knock them out?

Thanks Mark.
I don't think it matters if you put a fully sealed bearing in there, I think I did, but beware and do not fill a wheel bearing more than 50% with grease or you risk it churning and breaking down.

In the wheel, you can usually cock that spacer a bit to the side with a drift, enough to get purchase on one edge of the bearing, and commence to working your way around and tap it out, but if you like tools as much as I do (I'll only admit that is possible) then you might consider this:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/98 ... ng-Remover

I have this set and it is excellent, makes short, safe work of wheel bearing removal.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”