Footpeg foul up!

ChrisSm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Footpeg foul up!

Post by ChrisSm »

Hi, I'm rebuilding a twin shock and am in the process of installing a GSX1400 Swing Arm. That's all gone fine however being a much wider swing arm, the footrest hangars now contact the swing arm. I know an easy fix would be to make the bike a single seater and saw the hangars off behind the rider peg mounts but I want to take the occasional passenger so, have any of you guys out there done a similar mod and can you suggest an alternative that allows me to keep the hangars intact and fully operational? Can they be reheated and slightly bent out by approximately one inch for example?

Looking forward to some cool suggestions!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Footpeg foul up!

Post by EMS »

The rear footpeg holders on the plates also function as connections for the exhaust brackets. If you have the stock exhaust, you need to consider this. Cast aluminum does not respond well to bending. Heated or not.
If the swingarm is that wide, I assume you want to use a wider rear tire. Then you will have other issues to address. One of them is the chain alignment and a front sprocket with enough offset.

ChrisSm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ChrisSm »

Hi, thanks. The bike came with a D&D 6 into 1 system which as you say does use the R/H hangar as it's mount point however I'm sure a bracket can be fabricated to move that if needed. Suspected the hangars wouldn't respond well to 're shaping' but thanks for confirming. I'll look at some other options.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

How far do you need to bend them to clear?

A few yrs back I bought a half dozen sets of CBX footplates from EBay to have them milled out to resemble the lattice style footplates on some later Honda modles and one of them was bent about 1/2 an inch, I was able to straighten it out with a cheater bar (3 ft long 4 inch piece of galvanized pipe) using a vice and no heat.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”