exporting to Canada

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

exporting to Canada

Post by beedub »

Hi guys,

Does anyone know about exporting to Canada? after hours of menus and phone tag I think it is this way. Please anyone help>???

You go to the bike and verify the VIN.

You run the VIN by the local authorities -(question - cops or transportation dept?) to make sure there is clear title.

The title is sent by you to the specific border crossing customs post 72 hours before you want to bring it across there. So you have to either wait three days or go back and forth at least twice.

When you arrive they give you the go ahead or confiscate it if there is a problem.

the Canadian side is easy,with the title and over 15 years old, just fees and taxes of course. . So much for free trade

Anyone have knowledge on this?

thanks
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

Cool Blue North
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exporting to Canada

Post by Cool Blue North »

See my post in this section.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

export to canada

Post by Will »

beedub,

Are you buying the bike in the states? Or do you already own it? If buying it, you will need a receipt to establish value along with the title establishing ownership.

Some of us have been know to write receipts for a lot lower than actual value, then pull the main fuse. When the bike gets to the border, customs will want to charge duty on the "book" value. Tell the customs guy that sure it's pretty, but it doesn't even run, nor has it run in years. Make sure the seller is aware of all this. I had Canadian customs call me at home and ask if I had a bike for sale. When I said NO, it threw him for a loop and he had to say he was Canadian customs inquiring about the value. I told him I had sold the bike to a friend and it didn't run, thus the low value.
Will

Resident curmudgeon.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”