lower footpegs?

rider3
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

lower footpegs?

Post by rider3 »

I've been searching the web recently for a way to lower the footpegs on my 79 X without much luck. lots of options for BMW that use a adjustable link that retains the existing pegs but nothing CBX specific. found a site called wildhair accessories that sells a kit for sportbikes but not the CBX. wondering if anybody knows if another model of Honda's pegs would fit on a 79 X, say from a CBR or something else that a lowering kit is availible for.
Thanks

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: lower footpegs?

Post by EMS »

The problem you are facing are the hanger plates. The footpegs have a dedicated spot they mount to and that design shape is unique to the CBX. Even the other contemporary DOHC bikes, like the CB900F, for example, which had a similar footpeg design. are slightly different.There is no adapter available that would allow you to lower the footpegs nor is there another Honda footpeg that you could use with a lowering kit. The only way to do it is fabricate something yourself, sorry.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

An alternative is a taller seat. I bought a bunch of parts and accesories from a fellow who is 6'6", and one of the items is a custom Corbin seat with thick padding for more leg room. In my eyes, it's ugly, but the price is very negotiable. :D
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have these 360 peg mounts from Cycle Pirates for my ZRX, there is nothing CBX specific on their site but you may be able to call them and get some measurements and adapt something for your CBX.

http://cyclepirates.com/main/select_bik ... line_id=15
http://cyclepirates.com/main/select_all ... line_id=15

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here are two custom made rear-sets for CBXes. They would llow a certain amount of lowering. main purpose, however, is to move the pegs further back. You would have to remove the stock plates

rider3
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rider3 »

I ck'd out the cycle pirates web site and could probably find something that would be a close fit but don't want to go with a hard peg. Never liked rearsets for street riding even when my knees were younger. Think I'll try to piece something together that retains the stock hanger plate and pegs and see if it makes a much of a difference, the pegs on my 1150GS are very similar to the CBX and with a little file work would fit. Only problem is the price $250.00 seems high for a pair of links. Thought about new seat foam and taking out the swale for the rider, it shoves me to far forward. Love the bike, just have to get it to fit right.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I use an Air Hawk on some bikes. It makes more difference than you'd expect, just raising your butt up 1/2-3/4". Way cheaper than custom seats for multiple bikes.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I talked to a rep at Knight Design about getting some lowering pegs made for my bike, and she said that they generally don't do bikes as old as ours because they don't think that there's enough demand to make it worth their while to do the CNC programming required to do the bike-specific mount.

Here are some pics from their site showing the different designs:

She said that if we can get the following measurements from the stock pegs, she would see if they have anything already in production that's close enough to fit. If someone can take the following measurements and pipe up here, we can find out if Knight can hook us up:
  1. The width of the mount where the foot peg goes (this is much like the thickness of the foot peg mount, but there’s a little free space)
  2. The width of the slot the spring fits in
  3. The distance, as best you can measure it, from the inner side of the foot peg pin to the back inside of the foot peg mount. This is important because it’s where the hard stop is on the foot peg that keeps the peg from drooping.
  4. The diameter of the pin hole (typically 8mm on Hondas).
  5. The distance the bottom leg of the mount sticks out from the foot peg back stop (referenced above).

I asked if a group buy would change anything, and it looks like if we could get orders for 10 then we could probably get a CBX-specific peg made. If they don't have something workable off the shelf, I'll start a thread in the for sale section to see if there's enough interest.

Another option I'm interested in is the OEM pegs from the Buell Ulysses. I know that this is a popular mod on a number of bikes, and I'm curious if some time with a grinder, drill, and ingenuity would make it possible for the CBX. Here's an idea of what those pegs look like (compared to a VFR OEM mount):

Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Phil, I have a set of those Buell pegs I'll sell for $55 plus shipping, not sure what sub-model they are off of but if you're interested PM me for pics.

jb

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I have no idea what those Buell pegs go for now, but I paid $29 for mine about 8-9 years ago. I have them on my Blackbird, and they work well. Probably the same mounts as the VFR shown. Took all of 1/2 hour to install both sides.

I'd be surprised if there isn't something you could find readily available that would work.
Rick Pope

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

These are the drop pegs I bought for $55 off the ZRX forum, they are $79 here on Ebay, mine are silver though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-Ulysse-Bl ... 1392145980

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Yeah, they're a popular mod on a few bikes - once we know the dimensions on the OEM pegs it should be easy to figure out what's involved in fitting them - or another offering from Knight.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: - once we know the dimensions on the OEM pegs it should be easy to figure out what's involved in fitting them -.
The inside width of the clevis on the footpeg holder that bolts to the plate is 25mm. The outside width of the clevis on the footpeg is 22mm. The inside where the spring sits is 10mm. The length of the clevis on the footpeg is 30mm and the depth or length of the clevis on the holder is 25mm
3.The distance, as best you can measure it, from the inner side of the foot peg pin to the back inside of the foot peg mount
this is approx. 15mm

One word of caution, based on my personal experience: I do not find footpeg lowering kits very effective. I experimented with several designs on my 1990 BMW K1, which is the most uncomfortable bike I own, because the rider pegs are too far up (ground clearance) and too far forward (to leave room for the passenger pegs.) The lowest I could go was about 30mm lower and my knees are still too far up and my feet too far forward to be comfortable after sitting on the bike for an hour.
There are several places that offer kits for BMWs and the stuff is well done, but expensive. Money not well spent on my side.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is a picture of an example of a lowering kit for a BMW. I think they could be made to fit the plates and one could actually use the original BMW pegs.
The things are pricey, though! But you can get a 40mm lowering effect and they are adjustable.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:
Syscrush wrote: - once we know the dimensions on the OEM pegs it should be easy to figure out what's involved in fitting them -.
The inside width of the clevis on the footpeg holder that bolts to the plate is 25mm. The outside width of the clevis on the footpeg is 22mm. The inside where the spring sits is 10mm. The length of the clevis on the footpeg is 30mm and the depth or length of the clevis on the holder is 25mm
3.The distance, as best you can measure it, from the inner side of the foot peg pin to the back inside of the foot peg mount
this is approx. 15mm

One word of caution, based on my personal experience: I do not find footpeg lowering kits very effective. I experimented with several designs on my 1990 BMW K1, which is the most uncomfortable bike I own, because the rider pegs are too far up (ground clearance) and too far forward (to leave room for the passenger pegs.) The lowest I could go was about 30mm lower and my knees are still too far up and my feet too far forward to be comfortable after sitting on the bike for an hour.
There are several places that offer kits for BMWs and the stuff is well done, but expensive. Money not well spent on my side.
Thanks Mike. I went and picked up my peg and reproduced your measurements - they are generally within 1mm of what you got - I assume that there's a bit of variance as both are cast pieces.

I'll follow up here when I hear back from the vendor.

Thanks also for sharing your experience with lowering pegs on your other bike(s). Even if it isn't a night & day difference, my knees are such a mess that I'd like to do what I can to reduce the stress on 'em a bit. Raising the bike a bit overall so that it goes on the c-stand easier is one part of that. Improving the suspension so I don't have to lift myself out of the seat whenever I see a bump coming is another part of it. Giving my legs just a little bit more room is the final puzzle piece.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”