What are my rear sprocket options?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What are my rear sprocket options?

Post by Syscrush »

Hey all.

I currently have CB1100F boomerang wheels on my '79, with CBX rotors front and rear, CB1100F calipers up front, and a CBX caliper in the back.

I have no idea if the sprocket I'm running currently is spec'd for a CBX or CB1100F, and what the interchangeability might be.

The bike right now is geared a bit short, which I like because it's fun to be able to actually wind it out and go through the gears. I don't know how CBX's are geared stock, but at 120 kph I think I'm at ~5500 RPM. I'll count the teeth on the sprocket tonight.

Given that the CBX rotors apparently fit the CB1100F wheels, I wouldn't be surprised if the sprockets are also interchangeable, but I'd like a confirmation before I pull the trigger.

I want a black O-ring 530 chain (or some variant like X-ring) and black steel sprocket. I like the looks of the products from Driven Racing - they have a spec for a CBX rear sprocket but not for the CB1100F. I haven't been able to find a black steel sprocket from anyone else that's spec'd for a CB1100F.

Any info or pointers on this would be much appreciated.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: What are my rear sprocket options?

Post by daves79x »

Stock 530 sprockets are 18/42. I think 1100F was 41 rear - not sure. I'd stick with the stock CBX ratios and yes, rear sprockets for both interchange. You'll still think you are running lots of revs at speed, but that's the way they should be.

The perfect conversion on the '79 from 630 to 530 also includes the '80 adjusters. You'll find you are at one end or the other (can't remember which) with the 530 and the '79 adjusters. This is with the 102 link stock length.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks as always, Dave.

I have a new swingarm with new axle & adjusters, but others reading this might be very interested in that info.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

OK, my guess that the bike is geared a bit shorter than stock appears semi-confirmed. It has a 43 in the back - barely shorter than stock. I'll probably stick with the 18/43 setup because I believe the theory that the drivetrain lasts longer when the 2 sprockets' tooth counts have no common factors. OK, it's because I'm a nerd who loves prime numbers! Must resist the urge to run a 17/43 - the exact inverse of the gear ratio on my fixed gear bicycle. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I'm going with 18/43 sprockets from Driven racing - steel for both, with the rear coated black.

EK has a variety of X-ring and O-ring 530 chains in black. I'll pick based on price & availability. Can't wait to see how this all looks together with my other new parts. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

The SOBs at Driven took the order for CBX sprockets and sent CBR, since they don't make 'em for the CBR anymore. WTF?

So I'm back to having no sprockets. The chain that they sent would fit, but without sprockets it's not worth anything to me - and it's packaged up with the CBR sprockets. This is my first-ever order from this retailer so they're not offering to split the package (which would be appropriate since it's Driven's fault), and I'm not asking.

I'm furious. I've heard nothing but good stuff about this shop, but they've had those sprockets for a month now - I haven't been able to pick them up because they're on winter hours. They should have verified everything as soon as they came in, but that's not what went down.

I'm gonna call TIMS and get some sprockets, will order a black EK chain online because I don't feel like giving any more business to Driven or this shop.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Turns out that Supersprox can do a CBX rear sprocket in any width (520, 525, 530), color, and # of teeth you like. I looked at them before Driven because they didn't have any old bikes on their website, but I called them out of curiosity and it looks like we're in business.

While I think that their design/engineering is a bit of hype, I do like the look - and can run an almost-aluminum sprocket with the durability of steel:

They also have a black chain, so I'm ordering that from them and the front sprocket from TIMS.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Cool! You'll get it sorted Phil, hang in there and try to enjoy it :-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I'm still really upset with the shop that ordered the Driven sprockets and then didn't check if they were the right thing. Both they and Driven should have worked out that we were trying to order a sprocket that they don't make.

I placed the order originally so that we'd have tons of time for the stuff to show up while I was waiting on the suspension stuff and now I'm scrambling at the last minute - AND adding the large premiums that come with shipping across the border by courier - for both TIMS and Supersprox. The screw-up between Driven and this local award-winning shop is going to end up costing me over a week in delays and over $100 in additional fees.

By all accounts, they're a great shop - I just find that it's the same story over and over again - being great at fixing & building bikes does NOT mean that they're great at taking notes, keeping records, meeting timelines, or keeping their customers in the loop. It's just one order, but I know too many other shops that have always taken care of me to send more business to these guys - even though they're in a great location. Also glad that I decided before this mess to go with a Pro Taper bar after waffling for a long time on if the Driven carbon-wrapped bar would look right on my bike...
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:I'm still really upset with the shop that ordered the Driven sprockets and then didn't check if they were the right thing. ...

Phil, it just shows...The real problem is that you are working with a bike that very few of the people you are dealing with even know! During the order process, someone looks at the paperwork and has no ddea what a CBX is and replaces it with something HE knows or what he THINKS it was supposed to say. I can't tell you how many times I have talked to staff at Honda dealers about CBX parts, even during times when they were still available and the guys looked up CBR-XX or CB-R. :whistle:
When you tell the kid with the pierced lips, the earring and the orange hair - NO! C-B-X! , he gets this blank stare and when you say 6-Cylinder he looks at you like you are pulling his chain.... :snooty:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Yeah, when I got Supersprox on the phone, I asked him like 5 times if he's sure that they have the CBX measurements - and I asked him to list some other bikes that take the same sprocket. He named a bunch of other old Hondas - including a CB900 and some old VF. To me it sounds plausible.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Maybe it's just me, but why go with any custom sprocket set-up when you can buy CBX sprockets from any number of vendors that have them in stock? Sound like you are trying to solve a non-existent problem.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

daves79x wrote:Maybe it's just me, but why go with any custom sprocket set-up when you can buy CBX sprockets from any number of vendors that have them in stock? Sound like you are trying to solve a non-existent problem.
Because I want a black sprocket and black chain.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I suspect that your problem was not with Driven but with whoever you are dealing with at your end. I would also be amazed that Driven does not have the sprockets that you are looking for.
I have purchased many CBX sprockets from them in the past. Driven Racing is owned and run by a gent named Noam. Noam's partner was Gary Allen of "Project Tyrannosaurus-X " racing fame.
Gary was killed in a cycle accident a few years ago.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

That's interesting and tragic.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”