petcock repair

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

petcock repair

Post by tevan »

I am fixing a 79 up and took the petcock out of tank and the standup tube is broke off flush with the valve body. Has anybody put a new stand up tube in these stock petcock's? If so what size did you get and how did you bond it in there? I know it will work without it but it won't have a reserve. :text-feedback:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: petcock repair

Post by EMS »

I don't know, if you want to go through the expense, but new petcocks are still available. I think even from Honda.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

I replaced the corroded tube on my original petcock at the time of the petcock rebuild.
I managed to get new brass tubing that was a nice tight, exact fit in the casting hole. Look at a K&S tubing display at a hobby store or metal supply store.
It's not that critical, as any tiny leakage (not likely if the tube fits snugly) past the tube walls will NOT keep up with the motor demand and will not drain your tank's reserve while running.
The only purpose for the tube is the reserve.

Barry

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

barryadam wrote:I replaced the corroded tube on my original petcock at the time of the petcock rebuild.
I managed to get new brass tubing that was a nice tight, exact fit in the casting hole. Look at a K&S tubing display at a hobby store or metal supply store.
It's not that critical, as any tiny leakage (not likely if the tube fits snugly) past the tube walls will NOT keep up with the motor demand and will not drain your tank's reserve while running.
The only purpose for the tube is the reserve.

Barry
Thanks Barry. I figured somebody else done this before. I new I wasn't the only tight one out there. :text-thankyouyellow:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Only thing you are not considering is the screen and o-ring that go over the tube. The '79 and '80 petcocks had different height standpipes and therefore different screens (actually just a different placement of the rubber collar that determines the reserve). Only the '80 part number is still available, and it is for the short standpipe, so you'd have to fiddle with that. There is nothing wrong with replacing the standpipe, just know what screen you are using.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

daves79x wrote:Only thing you are not considering is the screen and o-ring that go over the tube. The '79 and '80 petcocks had different height standpipes and therefore different screens (actually just a different placement of the rubber collar that determines the reserve). Only the '80 part number is still available, and it is for the short standpipe, so you'd have to fiddle with that. There is nothing wrong with replacing the standpipe, just know what screen you are using.

Dave
So Dave you are saying I have to have the screen WITH ORING to make the reserve work? I do not have the screen or oring. I allways use a inline fuel filter after the petcock.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you have no screen or o-ring, how is the petcock sealing at the tank? There is a groove machined into the tank spigot to accept this o-ring and the ID of the o-ring keeps it's shape by being fitted over the screen. If you've sealed this joint some other way, yes you'll still have a reserve depending upon the height of the standpipe, it's just that neither 'on' or 'reserve' will obviously be screened in the tank.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Dave,

What I have done in the past put a plastic washer in the nut for the sealing and I use gas rated teflon tape on the threads and I haven't had any trouble sealing them. Thanks for all your input.

terry

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote: ). Only the '80 part number is still available, and it is for the short standpipe, so you'd have to fiddle with that. Dave
79 petcock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NOS-CBX-1 ... _424wt_899

79 petcock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBX-CBX10 ... 211wt_1009

79 petcock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1980-Honda ... 616wt_1009

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:

Yes, that's the ultimate way to go, but if you have a perfectly good petcock that can be rebuilt with a $3 washer and a couple of hours work, guys will certainly look to do that. I was just saying that the 422 screen assembly is not available, just the 469 one and you have to cut off a bit of the 422 standpipe to have it work correctly. This is all presuming that the screen was ruined during the removal process (usually it is).

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I am with Dave. I guess I am just cheap. I like to make something work that I have and I don't mind to work for it. $5 and a couple hours of work sounds better then $100.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”