Cracked Gauge Lens

dramacydal
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Cracked Gauge Lens

Post by dramacydal »

I accidentally cracked the gauge lens on my tachometer. Can the gauge lens from other Hondas from the era (i.e. CB750) be used in the CBX or will I have to buy some used CBX gauges?

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cracked Gauge Lens

Post by SteveG »

I saw a CBX tachometer for sale on ebay the other day, looked pretty nice. Just search "CBX Tachometer" and it should pop up.

On a side note, I also saw a "Mickey Mouse" gauge cluster that looked really nice, but also had the glass cracked on the tach which got me thinking about how to fix that. I was thinking of seeing if my local picture framing shop would be able to cut a similar round piece of glass as a replacement. Frames have all sorts of different shapes and thicknesses of glass in them. Taking the gauges apart to replace the glass isn't a big deal.

I don't know if anybody has already gone that route yet.

Let us know what you do!

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

drama, a few things to consider.

The lens is convex and also has a anti-glare coating on it, that being said yrs ago I bought some different colored Lexan Polycarbonate sheets and made a few lenses.

I used an OEM lens as a mold and overlaid a piece of Lexan cut to size on the OEM lens and placed it in the oven and heated it until it took the shape of the OEM lens, worked perfect and is still on my bike to this day.

The mold consisted of a piece of oak just a bit larger that the OEM lens, I used some finishing nails around the perimeter of the OEM lens to keep the piece of Lexan from moving as it softened and took the shape of the OEM lens.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Jeff, do you remember what temp you set the oven?
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:drama, a few things to consider.

The lens is convex and also has a anti-glare coating on it, that being said yrs ago I bought some different colored Lexan Polycarbonate sheets and made a few lenses.

I used an OEM lens as a mold and overlaid a piece of Lexan cut to size on the OEM lens and placed it in the oven and heated it until it took the shape of the OEM lens, worked perfect and is still on my bike to this day.

The mold consisted of a piece of oak just a bit larger that the OEM lens, I used some finishing nails around the perimeter of the OEM lens to keep the piece of Lexan from moving as it softened and took the shape of the OEM lens.

This site continually amazes me with the knowledge and tips from its' members.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Jeff, do you remember what temp you set the oven?
Good question Larry, It was a trail and error thing, if I remember correctly I did ruin the first one I tried.

It's been so long ago I don't recall what the best temp was but the secret is the timing. The piece of Lexan takes a few minutes to get soft enough to take the shape of the mold but as soon as it does you have to remove it from the heat immediately, you really need to keep your eye on it because once it gets into that state it can get too soft and get wrinkles in the finish.

You will also need to bevel the edge of the new lens a bit to get it to fit properly but you won't see it because the bezel covers it.

Depending how your lens cracked you should be able to use it as your mold, I was able to.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Jeff. My question, actually, was for the benefit of whoever might want to try it. Sounds like a great method of doing a replacement. Fortunately, mine are both still in good condition.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

dramacydal

Post by dramacydal »

Steve, I ended up just buying a used gauge off of eBay but I do want to try Jeff's idea of using Lexan as a backup set.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I would like to know a way to open them up without screwing them up. Can anybody give some tips? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

tevan wrote:I would like to know a way to open them up without screwing them up. Can anybody give some tips? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
There are several threads on that, try a few variation of search:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7602&p=58612

I think Jeff Bennett did one tutorial, or maybe it was Dave, using a hole saw to make a hole in a piece of plywood to hold the gauge and then ringed around it gently with a small screwdriver prying up the crimp. I could not find it just now but try and few searches and see what you find.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Nils,

Thanks for the thread. I thought I seen one before but I looked and couldn't find it. The funny thing is I asked some questions on that thread also! My memory is failing. Does anybody know what to put in the gauges for the lube?

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

I read on another site that the lube for R/C cars gears is the same stuff. Then I learned that the R/C cars gear lube is the same as vaseline. I haven't personally used it yet, but the next set of gauges I take apart (this winter)(scored a 79 CB750F project)(has cool 150 mph speedo) will be getting vaselined.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

That's interesting. I will try that and see if it fixes my slow speedo and tach. thanks

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Got my speedo apart today....Question where does a guy lube these at? on the gears only? Does a guy have to take everything apart to lube everything correctly? I was looking for a cup but couldn't figure it out? :text-feedback:

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”