Too Much Clutch Drag?

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Too Much Clutch Drag?

Post by Samelak »

I finished installing a ProLink clutch into my 80 CBX and I'm 99% sure its correct. I am trying to adjust my clutch but I am getting quite a bit of clutch drag in gear, I adjusted according to the manual through the adjustment cover on the clutch and on the cable itself. With the clutch in and in first gear, I can push the bike but it take a bit of effort to overcome the initial static drag. I never paid attention to this prior to the clutch change so I am wondering if I have it adjusted correctly. Once rolling, it takes just a little effort to keep rolling. The freeplay at the lever is about 1/2".

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Too Much Clutch Drag?

Post by Samelak »

No one has an opinion or experience with this?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Not a qualified one, anyway :-)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Fair enough. All I am looking for if anyone recalls clutch drag when pushing their bike in first gear and the clutch lever in. If so, how much?

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

From my unqualified experience, yes, I have had resistance when pushing the bike around in gear with the clutch pulled in. The resistance has been much more with the motor cold. That would be why I push them around in neutral.

I would not worry about it as long as the free play in cable and lever is correct, and the friction point when releasing the clutch is to your liking, and the clutch doesn't slip.

I am pretty sure you will get a more qualified answer after Vintage Days this weekend are over.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Lee, does it get any easier after you have gone for a ride and the oil/clutch are warmed up?
If i engage first while my bike is running and on the center stand, the rear wheel will start to spin. Not fast but it takes approx 10 sec. until it stops.
I am assuming this is a similar symptom to clutch drag. Nothing to worry about, imho.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

If it shifts from Neutral into First with the engine running and without a distinct 'klunk' which tries to move the bike, then I'd say the clutch is adjusted properly and whatever 'drag' you have is probably normal

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

One thing: If you push a cold bike around in gear with the clutch pulled, you have to overcome the drag in the transmission. So it is a little harder to push. Another thing: My 81 always "cluncks" and rocks forward ever so slightly when I put it into gear from neutral. Although it shifts perfect and I perceive the clutch to be properly adjusted. Final thing: Indeed you may get more answers now that Vintage Days are over.. 8)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You have to verify you used the shorter 81/82 sleeve with the extra washer, other than that what EMS is saying is just the way it is. Were all the steels in the clutch checked for flatness on a known flat surface, sometimes hot spots on the steels will cause warping and make the clutch drag.

JoeReid
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by JoeReid »

The criterion I use for deciding on excessive clutch drag is if I can't shift from 1st gear into neutral without excessive force when the engine is running and warm then there is too much drag.

Joe in NJ

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

I have to admit I never try to push any bike in gear with the clutch in, thats what neutral is for.......
My criteria on all my bikes is same as Joe Reid above.......
I spent months perfecting the clutch on my 1971 CB750 and now its perfect but I experimented with oils, different brands of plates [in the clutch, not dinner] and free play....it was all worth it, the bike now runs possibly better than when it came from the factory.
Now I just have to get the CBX as good.
Al

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”