Throttle lock or throttle rockers

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Throttle lock or throttle rockers

Post by SS »

I'm looking at Throttle Rockers (the plastic wrist type) and or Throttle Locks (Vista-Cruise) for the 82 CBX. I'm wanting some relief for my wrist on longer trips.

I would appreciate your opinions and comments.

What type/brands you use :?:

I want to take some longer trips before winter arrives in my part of the world 8)

BTW: I'm just too cheap for a real cruise control :oops: .

TIA
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Throttle Stops/Rockers

Post by Passx »

SS,

I have both, all of my bikes have the VistaCruise throttle lock that fits between the grip and controls and I also have a rocker that I transfer as needed. Using both gives me different loads and options as I ride particularly on my 81X since the return spring is somewhat stiff, the rocker gets in the way when not needed for steady cruising but is nice for non-flat cruising. Having both a mild case of carpal tunnel and tennis elbow I can sympathize with holding the throttle open for any distance & they both help but if I could only have 1 I'd go with the VistaCruise. Do you know if anyone makes an electronic bolt-on that works fairly well and doesn't cost an arm and leg ? Has anyone out there had any experience with one ?

Steve P. # 5220

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

SS, I've used the throttle rocker for some time now and wouldn't go any distance without it. I had CT surgery on both hands a few years ago and for the price (under $10) the rocker can't be beat. I know a number of guys who love the Vista Cruise too but I've never used one. Riding in town or thru a set of corners, the rocker has to turned around a bit or removed but on a straightaway (freeways) its great! It helps your wrist, hand and fingers.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Throttle Rocker

Post by John S. (5594) »

Good advice Terry on the throttle rocker - turn it around or remove it when not needed for those long highway rides.

While probably a nice aid - I find the things a dangerous nuisance for sports riding - especially on high output motorbikes.

I have a ThrottleMeister for my VFR800 (never installed) and some various throttle locks or friction devices that I acquired through the years. For most of my riding though - I want the throttle to snap back when I release and certainly do not want my wrist placement to define it's setting (ever try to recover from an unintentional wheelie with a throttle rocker affixed? - whew!!!!).

Some VFR owners I know have purchased large o-rings that they "roll" between the throttle grip and the switch housing to give similar results that the more expensive friction-type throttle aids offer. The o-rings cost less than a soda.

And there are electrically modulated cruise control devices available for some motorbikes (including the VFR) - but they are a bit pricey. One manufacturer I have heard folks discuss can be seen here:

http://www.mccruise.com

All the best,

John

San Jose, California

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for the comments

Post by SS »

Thank you one and all :clap: .

Today I installed the Vista cruise pt# 074045 on my 82 Prolink.

Purchased from my local Honda store for $22.00 (tax incl.) :thumbsup: .

This was a snap to install (took nearly 15 minutes) :dance:

This was one of my best $20 investments for a bike in a very long time :rocker:

I've ebayed a throttle rocker, and expect it any day now (I'll use it on the other bikes).

Thank your again for you helpful comments :beer: :bigthumb:
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

One potential problem with the throttle rocker is a quick grab of the front brake. When you apply the front brake, your wrist drops slightly when you open your hand to grab the lever. If the rocker is right there, it will make the throttle go open at that moment. I don't know, whether you want that right then. Needs some practice

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Throttle Rocker

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Put one on my 82 last June. Absolutely the best. I just about don't know it's there; except, no more cramps in the forearm/finger grip/etc. Bought one for the Suzuki; took of the throttle lock cruise control. Disadvantage of the throttle lock is that every slope change of the road you have to adjust it. With throttle lock, just lean down on it a little. Best $10 I've spent!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”