Speed VS Rpm

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Speed VS Rpm

Post by ahlenius1 »

Hi ok does any one know how many RPM i should be turning at 60mph after just restoring this bike and using the sprockets found with the bike i am turning 4200 at about 60mph this seems excessively high to me any thoughts?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Speed VS Rpm

Post by daves79x »

I think that's about right. Check your sprockets - 15/35 for a 630 chain and 18/42 for the 530 - those are the stock ratios. These engines love to rev and many new owners find as you do that the revs seem high at road speeds. You can gear it up, but will lose some bottom end. If you are riding in mostly flat country, it may work, but Honda got it pretty close. Don't worry about the revs - these things will run at 7500 rpm all day and love it.

Dave

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ahlenius1 »

Ok great thanks for the info I was just wondering if the sprockets were messed up the front is 15 and the rear ill have to count, I love pulling on it in 4th on the highway and hearing the Whine and carbs just awsome!!!

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Your numbers seem right. My 79 runs the same with 60mph at 4200rpm. My 80 is 60mph at 4000rpm.

ahlenius1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ahlenius1 »

Good then case or question solved ! I love this site!!!

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”