Petcock surprise

Rick Angles #3328
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Petcock surprise

Post by Rick Angles #3328 »

Hi all. Finally getting around to cleaning out my gas tank. I thought I had drained the gas, but I didn't. That was back in '04. So, you probably know what I found; stinking gas and some rust in the tank. I took the petcock off to drain the tank and it doesn't look good to me. I have never had one out, but I know it is not supposed to look like this. I would like to stay original if I can. I found some new ones on eBay, about $100. Would this my only route or could I find a good used one? My bike has 8k+ miles is why I would like to keep it lookng original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick

1982 CBX

texas-ss-tornado

Re: Petcock surprise

Post by texas-ss-tornado »

Yep, your filter has become toast! Looks just like the one I removed from my CBX that had been sitting 10 years! I bought one of the replacements off eBay for right around 100 shipped, although there are cheaper "non stock" alternatives! I just bought one of the cheaper ones for my 2nd tank (first one is on the way to the painter), will let you know what it looks like when it get's here!

eBay original one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CB ... 2eb50ab7b8

Aftermarket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWNX:IT

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Personally i would go with an OEM petcock.
The '82 is different from the '79/'80/'81.
Not sure if the one in the pic is stock?

texas-ss-tornado

Post by texas-ss-tornado »

Yep, I missed that, his looks like the 82 petcock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... 4aab2ed2f7

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That petcock they offer is original for the 1989/90 GB500, which is Honda's official replacement for the 82 CBX petcock. You may be able to find a good used one for this bike, although they are probably rare also.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I would pay the extra and get a new one if it was mine - Likely a good used one would cost you nearly as much anyway

A more important question is . . . . what are you going to do about the tank? Putting a new petcock on it without cleaning out all of the rust would be a waste. If it's really rusty you'll likely have to coat it with something like POR-15 to prevent the rust from coming back, especially if it's a bike that doesn't get ridden much

Don

Rick Angles #3328
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I thought going new would be better, don't know what you would get used. Here is one I found;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... ccessories

Any other places besides eBay to find new?

The one in the pic is the original '82, but sharp eyes will see screws holding it together. I drilled out the rivets, tapped and installed machine screws a few years ago when it developed a leak. Just flipped the rubber inside and it worked.

As for the rust, I am going to try the "molasses" trick that Steve showed us in thread on here.

And lastly, before anyone mentions it, I know I will have to go thru the carbs also. Looks to be a long while till this X is running, :lol:
Rick

1982 CBX

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The picture may look like the petcock has screws, but the MK6 part is riveted.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:
Rick means the picture of the screws holding his original petcock together, I think.

Rick, you can still buy those new from Honda and I'd go that route if you know a dealer that will give you a discount. At least compare eBay and your dealer.

Definitely go with the original.

Dave

Rick Angles #3328
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Didn't know they were still at the dealers. I just figured most parts have been discontinued. Thanks, Dave.

Yes I was talking about my original having scews. Did that mod years ago.
Rick

1982 CBX

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”