Speedometer needle

oilheadron

Speedometer needle

Post by oilheadron »

My recently acquired '79 has a broken speedo needle. There is a stub that is still attached to the spindle and the speedo is still functioning. I've done quite a bit of searching on the site, but can't find a source for replacement needles, if there even is one. Help!

Also, none of my usual sources (I'm a dealer) show petcock kits for the '79. Ideas??? Maybe they're still available from Honda, I'll check.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Speedometer needle

Post by Rick Pope »

I think I remember Jeff Bennetts telling about how to cut the case apart in such a manner as to be able to glue it back together after the needle repair is complete. The needle itself was repaired using epoxy and a straight pin?

The petcock can be repaired by drilling out the rivets, replacing the seal with one from any older Honda (CB 350-750, CL series, etc.). Tap the holes where you drilled out the rivets and re-assemble with appropriate sized stainless screws.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Cool. I didn't know those older seals would work, but we've done plenty of older Goldwings in the same way (using Randaak's kits).

There isn't any of the original needle left except for the stub, I'm afraid. Going to take a closer look now.

Thanks.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The reason you can't find replacement speedo needles and petcock repair kits is, there weren't any. The speedos were not supposed to be opened thus no replacement needles, and the 79,80 and 81 petocks were also not serviceable, thus no kits. The 82 petcock had a different p/n and some serviceable components.

If you go to the double post, in the upper right corner, next to the "edit button" should be a small black "x". Click on this and you can delete your post, as long as nobody else has posted after you.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I think the common way to come up with a replacement needle is to cut open a collision damged tach or speedo and reuse the needle . . . . it could probably be from some bike other than a CBX as well - The cutting practice will come in handy when you cut apart the speedo you hope to repair

Never throw away anything . . . . no matter how far gone it may appear ;)

Don

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

You can also root through a car junkyard and get some needles out of one of the guage clusters. Depending on how the car needles were attached, you might need to trim and drill an appropriately sized hole in the center and glue with a dab of epoxy, and you have new needles. Worked like a charm on my CB900F project.

Steve

82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome Steve!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:shock: :shock: Holy Mackerel, Steve :!: I know, I couldn't do this, no way I could! I am shaking to much for miniature work like this. What do you do to steady your hands :shock: :?:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

He practices by painting the red lettering on CBX switches ;)

Don

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”