Rusted gas tank

Rick Angles #3328
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rusted gas tank

Post by Rick Angles #3328 »

Ok, I finally looked into the tank and found what I dreaded, rust. Guess it was my fault for parking it with fuel in it and not storing properly. I will know better next time. Here is looking inside the tank.

gallery/image.php?album_id=21&image_id= ... w=no_count

After looking over the threads here on tackling tank rust, I have checked out what is out there.

First is the POR system, which after reading over the material may harm the paint, which I would not like to happen.

http://www.por15.com/CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR- ... info/CTRK/

I have also looked at the Evapo Rust and Rusteco websites. They look more freindly, as in not harmful to paint and are not as caustic as the POR system.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

http://www.rusteco.com/auto.htm

Who has experience with these products and can give me any tips on bringing my tank back to life.
Rick

1982 CBX

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Rusted gas tank

Post by silversurfer1050 »

This may sound a tad crazy, but I saw a thread ona different forum that a guy used a mollasses solution for a number of weeks.
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

silversurfer1050 wrote:This may sound a tad crazy, but I saw a thread ona different forum that a guy used a mollasses solution for a number of weeks.
That was SteveG and he is active here. Seemed to work perfectly.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Yes, the molasses works great. Takes a while, but cheap enough to make 5+ gallons of mixture (under $20), does not harm paint, is friendly to the environment, and is reusable.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5754

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

STROMSTROM56
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by STROMSTROM56 »

Hi gang, I'm new to the site but I have already found answers to so many questions I've had just by reading previous postings. This molasses for the rusty tank was so interesting that I had to try it myself. I found the molasses at Blain's Farm and Fleet in the feed section. Mixed up the brew on Sunday Aug 29th and filled the tank and saved a small amount to soak some rusty flat washers just to monitor the progress. Hope it does the trick as I hate to use acid on this tank. Bought the cbx new way back then and it has many issues to clear up. Carbs, paint, tuning, etc. Just received new emulsion tubes and idle air jets today so I am looking forward to getting the carbs back together to see if I can get rid of a lean fuel mixture problem. If anyone else has feedback on the molasses for the tank I would like to hear the results. Thanks

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Hey, welcome to the site. Someone on here will have a recommendation.

I also bought my CBX new and cannot removed my gas cap seems to be stuck. Maybe I need to remove it, turn it upside down and fill with your brew from the bottom?

Any thoughts on that? Let me know how the potent does in your tank.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

STROMSTROM56

Post by STROMSTROM56 »

thanks for the reply George, not sure how to get the gas cap released from your tank. The mollasses soak is to new to me to know if it is going to solve my problem. I'll let ya know if it seems to be worth while. from another "one owner" cbx'r rick

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Just make sure you removed the petcock. The molasses will eat up the aluminum. Have fun!!

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

SteveG wrote:Just make sure you removed the petcock. The molasses will eat up the aluminum. Have fun!!

Steve
That's interesting! Important point to make, Steve! I used Rustol once in a CB350F tank. Rustol is the JCWhitney equivalent of Rusteco. I had the tank filled with it sitting in the basement and the stuff ate through the petcock and etched the basement floor! Now I thought with molasses, I wouldn't have the problem! :cry:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:
I also bought my CBX new and cannot removed my gas cap seems to be stuck.

Later, George in Delaware
George, if you drain that tank and pop it off, you could run it down to your local lock shop, and they'd have it open in 10 seconds or less. They might even have a lubricant or other means of repairing it.

N.
Nils Menten

STROMSTROM56

Post by STROMSTROM56 »

Hey Steve, thanks for the tip about the aluminum. I think you saved my petcock. Didn't know molasses would be as strong as the acid I have used on other tank clean ups. It's only been 5 days and I can see progress already. GREAT TIP!!!

STROMSTROM56

Post by STROMSTROM56 »

OK GANG, THAT MOLASSES WORKED GREAT, I CAN'T BELEIVE IT! ONLY TWO WEEKS AT A 1 TO 1 RATIO AND ALOT OF FLUSHING. REWORKED THE CARBS MYSELF WITH THE HELP OF MIKE NIXON'S BOOK & OTHER INFO I FOUND ON THIS SITE. TOOK IT OUT TODAY FOR A RIDE AND IT HASN'T RUN THIS WELL FOR A LONG TIME! IT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT!! i HAD ALLMOST GIVEN UP ON THIS THING UNTILL I GOT NIXONS CARB BOOK. MANY THANKS TO THIS FORUM FOR ALL THE INFO!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

STROMSTROM56 wrote:OK GANG, THAT MOLASSES WORKED GREAT, I CAN'T BELEIVE IT! ONLY TWO WEEKS AT A 1 TO 1 RATIO AND ALOT OF FLUSHING. REWORKED THE CARBS MYSELF WITH THE HELP OF MIKE NIXON'S BOOK & OTHER INFO I FOUND ON THIS SITE. TOOK IT OUT TODAY FOR A RIDE AND IT HASN'T RUN THIS WELL FOR A LONG TIME! IT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT!! i HAD ALLMOST GIVEN UP ON THIS THING UNTILL I GOT NIXONS CARB BOOK. MANY THANKS TO THIS FORUM FOR ALL THE INFO!
Hey that's tremendous. Good for you for tearing into it all, great stuff.

N.

P.S. Your caps lock is stuck on :-)
Nils Menten

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thank you for reporting back on the molasses trial, Strom.
If i remember correctly it can be re-used?
I am going to give this a try on a GS1000 tank that is solid but sounds like a castanet when shaken.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”