1979 center stand

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1979 center stand

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am looking for a center stand for my '79.
Will a '79 CB750F center stand work?
I thought i had read that years ago but could not find the thread. I have a late model stand[i think] which i know is sturdier but a pain to install viewtopic.php?t=4763&highlight=center+centre+stand
Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Centerstands

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Steve,, I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone on here does.. Come on guys, what's the solution to the question.

This brings up another subject: Is there an interchange book or listing for bike parts?
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

No sure, the only way to tell would be to match or check for a similar part number... Got me lost on this one I'm afraid... :?
ICOA # 656

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I'd be really surprised if there was a centerstand from any other model which would just bolt on and work properly without modifications

'79/'80 stands show up on eBay pretty regularly . . . . there are plenty of them around because so many guys have gone with exhaust systems which don't allow them to use centerstands

Don

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

There's one on eBay right now - $40 plus $18 shipping

Don

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the input, guys.
I saw the one on E-Bay and will bid on it. Last week i lost out on one when it went to $152.00. Yikes!
I was hoping to find a cheaper solution, hence the question about the 750F. I will probably end up getting a 750F stand as well because they are cheap and see if they can be adapted.

dhidaka1
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: 1979 center stand

Post by dhidaka1 »

I own a 1980 CBX and its little brother 1980 CB750F. Center stands are identical. In fact my CBX centerstand is broken, so I installed the one from my 750F. Perfect match.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome tip!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

I have just managed to find (what I think is :? ) a '79 centre stand for my bike from a local second hand bike shop (Davies Motors PE). Scratched around until I found it and was told I could take it away and either bring the stand back if it didn't fit or the cash if it did!

Only been in there once before and didn't buy anything then, was impressed. :clap:

My problem is that I didn't have a centre stand and I can't seem to find any assembly instructions for the "C" bracket that the top of the spring clips onto. I still need to get the "C" bracket and spring so I can't even manipulate both to find a possible position.

During my searching I found the photo's of a cracked stand and the gusset modifications. After seeing these I'm fairly sure that this is what happened to the stand originally. :text-thankyouyellow:

It would be appreciated if someone could post a photo or two. :text-feedback:

Tx's

Mac
I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
Save Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Hmmmm. I have a 900F rolling chassis. I'd bet the stand on that is the same as well.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote:Hmmmm. I have a 900F rolling chassis. I'd bet the stand on that is the same as well.
The 900F came out quite a bit later in the U.S. than In Europe and may have had some changes made to it by that time, including the c/s. The 750F was a 79 model and shared some parts with the CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The 'C' bracket's elongated hole slips over the tab on the frame and the spring goes in the other hole and to the stand. Hope you have a 'C' bracket as they are NLA from Honda. Spring for the early model is still available.

As far as I know, the early model centerstands fit only those and nothing else Honda made will work without heavy mods.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:The 'C' bracket's elongated hole slips over the tab on the frame and the spring goes in the other hole and to the stand. Hope you have a 'C' bracket as they are NLA from Honda. Spring for the early model is still available.

As far as I know, the early model centerstands fit only those and nothing else Honda made will work without heavy mods.

Dave
The C-plate came from the 1978 Honda CB400T II "Hawk" just in case you need to look for a used part. Several other CB750F and 900F DOHC models used a C-plate which is still available and may work on the CBX. The pivot pipe is from the CB750 Four ( 1969-1976 K model). And this pivot pipe is the same on the 750F DOHC, so that c/s may indeed work with some modification. Especially, if you do not have a stock exhaust.

mac.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mac. »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll keep the search up for the "C"and keep you posted.

Cheers

Mac
I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
Save Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

just picked up the late model center stand for $ 15 bucks , have to remove the center support and rework, couple hrs grinding and welding , still cheaper than the 275.00 1979, not going to use it any way with 11-1/2 shocks most likely will drag , Here is a C bracket on E-bay if needed http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-1982-hon ... 2a43adb362

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”