wind screens

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

wind screens

Post by Rick Pope »

I'm picking up a clean '81 next week, and would like to put a "sport" windscreen on it. I know of a guy in Colorado named Craig ????? makes them, but the last name escapes me. Not Gustafson or Rifle. Any of you folks know the last name?

Anyway, he lists a sport screen for the Sabre fairing, which fits the CBX. I always was bad with names, getting older doesn't help matters.

There's no rush on this as the carbs and some other parts are off the bike, so I won't get it on the road until spring.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Clearview Shields Inc.
PO BOX 747
Bailey, CO 80421

303-838-0886

www.clearviewshields.com

Very happy with my long touring for my '81
/r
Brad

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

That vented one looks like the one on my 82 but mine measures 20 & 1/2" and 22" at its widest part just above the side bracing. I think I need one about 24" long as when I duck just 3-4 inches, or less, the air noise around my ears goes away almost completely. Sitting normally, wearing earbuds for my V1, which aren't as quieting as regular earplugs, the wind noise is pretty high at speed. Maybe I should look at a Laminar lip or something similar?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

I've found the folks at Clearview to be real friendly! They spent a lot of time sizing me and my ST1100 up for a 3" over long touring shield. I added a Laminar Lip on top and ended up with a nice quiet pocket.

I added a similar touring shield now to my '81 and am very satisfied! You'd be welcome to try it in Luray...
/r
Brad

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I want to go the other way, shorter windscreen so my helmet is in clean air. I've found that when I ride a naked bike, or one with minimal fairing, my helmet is very quiet (Shoei X-11). But add a little turbulence and it gets quite noisy. Plus, it has good venting when there's a smooth air flow, but gets hot behind a fairing. On my yellow bike w/ the Shoei fairing, I can't quite sit upright enough to get that quiet zone, but on the Blackbird I can get there if I sit just right. The KLR with winscreen totally removed is just right.
Rick Pope

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

My helmet is also quieter on the 79 or the Busa. Suppose my shield is too high?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Terry,
That's the direction I'm leaning. When I painted the yellow bike, I cut a couple of inches from the top of the Shoei. It helped a lot. Later, I removed the screen portion on the KLR, same results. The Bird came w/ a Givi taller windscreen. Put the stocker back on and it's much better, for me.
I've know many people who were unhappy with a particular helmet, when the same helmet was great for others. I think the bike has more to do with it than helmet selection.
But, someones tag says, "Could be wrong....." Me too.
Rick Pope

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”