Drive Chain Replacement

FowVay
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Drive Chain Replacement

Post by FowVay »

I realize it's a topic that's been discussed but the posts seem very old so I'll bring a new one to the forefront.

This is my first post on the forum and I'm new to the CBX. I need to replace the chain and sprockets on my 1979 model and the most common replacements seem to be with the 1980 model 530 size. However, I notice that most places sell a 530 chain that isn't rated to the tensile strength of the 630 that came on the bike originally.

My service manual states that the drive chain is a 10,100 lb 630 chain. Most replacement 530 chains are 9,400 lb rated (examples are EK 530SRX or 530MVXZ).

So my question is: Has anyone ever had problems using a lower strength rated drive chain on their CBX? I find it hard to believe that the CBX would be harder on a chain that a CB900RR or other modern sport bike.

I apologize for the repeat of this topic and the newby question but this thing is sitting in my garage and it's killing me. I want to take it out and have some fun.

Thanks!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the site, FowVay!

You will have no problem replacing the 630 with a 530 chain. Some have even gone to a 520. Chain technology has advanced quite a bit since 1979 and modern O-ring chains are better performers in smaller sizes than the old conventional ones.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

My Hayabusa uses a 530 X ring chain with no problems, so does my 79 and 82.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

FowVay

Post by FowVay »

Thank you both for your replies to my issue. During my research for chain strength I came across some very good information regarding circumferential loading related to pin angles on the drive chains.

Apparently the strength requirement for the CBX is reduced with the smaller size chain due in part to the radial curvature of the countershaft sprocket. In other words, the 530 chain doesn't bend as sharply between links at the front sprocket due to the increased number of links. This results in greater load dispersal.

Maybe it was a wear issue or possibly a simple application configuration that prompted Honda to start with the 630 and later adopt the 530. I feel comfortable that the 530 rated for 9,400 lb/ft of tensile strength will be more than adequate for my apps.

Besides, I'm old and just putt around anyway :wink:

Thanks again!! Maybe I'll be up and running next week.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the club & site FowVay... :thumupp: :wink:
ICOA # 656

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Chain

Post by Dave Ditner »

EK has 530 chain with much higher ratings than that. Their ZVX2 is rated at 10,560 tensile and their ZZZ is rated at 11,000 lbs. DID has ZVM 2 rated at 10,360 lbs. All are X ring chains and will handle all your cbx can throw at it.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

At the WERA and other races many of the high hp (150 to 185+hp) race bikes run a 520 chain .......so based on this..... I doubt a 90hp CBX will do much damage on any quality 530 chain.

Plus....... keep in mind the 80, 81 and 82 CBXs had 530 O-ring chains from the factory which I never heard anyone say they had an issue.

Often early on when my 80 was new people would ask me what the most amazing thing about it was and I would always reply the oem 530 chain which lasted 20-25k miles as where before this 5-10k miles was normal on all prior chains and bikes.

Welcome to our site and keep those questions coming. We have the best CBX technical people that are members and are here to help you and everyone.......

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

FowVay wrote:Maybe it was a wear issue or possibly a simple application configuration that prompted Honda to start with the 630 and later adopt the 530
I suspect it was just a case of them erring on the side of caution - They had little to no experience with 100 HP+ street bikes at that time and someone probably had visions of a bunch of crankcases having to be replaced under warranty after a few thousand miles with neglected maintenance. Based on a years performance with the 630 chain, they deduced that they weren't going to have catastrophic problems with 530 chain, so they made the switch

Don

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I think the 630 chain was more marketing gimmick than necessity. They implied that the CBX made so much power it need a bigger chain than a "regular" bike. But the CB 750 used the 630 too for a year or so.

Read some of the old magazine tests of the CBX, They even mentioned the big chain, if my memory is correct. But, at my age, it may be fading slightly.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”