Low Rpm st-st-stutter

drbone641
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Low Rpm st-st-stutter

Post by drbone641 »

My 82 runs really rough below 3500-4000rpm. After it goes above that it sounds like a CBX ought to. Before I start tearing into carbs etc I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. I have braided plug wires which I am suspect of. Is there a chance they are leaching spark until the rpm get high enough??? Anyway thanks for any ideas.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I also have Taylor braided wires on my 79 and to check them I fire it up in the dark. So far, no sparking anywhere, and that's even after I found rat bite marks on the plug caps! :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXRoger »

A small infared temperature sensor shined on the exhaust pipes after a short ride at the stuttering RPM will point you in the right direction. If you have two cylinders that are cool and they share a coil, it might be an ignition problem. If the number of problem cylinders are one, three, five, I would look at fuel system. With the temperature sensor, you have a starting place to look for your problem.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

drbone641

Post by drbone641 »

will the higher rpm overcome the bad coil to make the engine run right?
My first thoughts were carb related, but before I start throwing time and $$$. New Coils/wire @ $219 is definetly the cheaper way to start.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

drbone641 wrote:will the higher rpm overcome the bad coil to make the engine run right?
I doubt if that is the case...Find the cold cylinder/s at the low rpm range & stick a timing light on the HT wires to look for a regular beating spark. Then check valve clearances before diving into the carbs ( it's easier.)
ICOA # 656

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

How is the bike at idle? If a bit rough try removing plug wires to see if engine idle changes much. If 4 make a big difference while two don't may be able to help pinpoint if the two use same coil.
Also, do the plug caps have built-in resistors? I'm not sure for the CBX however have experienced failed resistors on snowmobiles.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”