Gas Tank Operation

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Gas Tank Operation

Post by DevonCbx »

Does anyone know what is happening in a tank with the fuel cock on and then reserve? How does this work. Is the reserve a seperate internal tank or is it to do when the tank gets low to a point and then the reserve kicks in?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The reserve position pickup inside the tank is lower than the regular position. One tank holds all the fuel. Always a good thing to run the bike in the reserve position every fillup for at least a few minutes. I'd hate to find out that my reserve pickup line is clogged after I had to make the switch on the road. I've also heard that Pingel replacement units have less of a reserve capacity than stock units. An even lower reserve pickup maybe?
Last edited by Terry on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

gas tank

Post by DevonCbx »

Thanks for the very informative inormation

Duane

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Terry wrote:The reserve position pickup inside the tank is lower than the regular position. One tank holds all the fuel. Always a good thing to run the bike in the reserve position every fillup for at least a few minutes. I'd hate to find out that my reserve pickup line is clogged after I had to make the switch on the road. I've also heard that Pingel replacement units have less of a reserve capacity than stock units. An even lower reserve pickup maybe?
Hi Terry/Duane

My experience with the Pingel tells me it is wayyyyyy overrated and in my view a totally inferior replacement to the stock CBX. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

The Pingle on my X leaked and it has another nice feature........when you take the tank off for any reason and lay it on a table.........this pushes the lever to the open position and and gas ends up everywhere.

I guess it could get worse if one was working in a garage in cold weather and laid the CBX tank/Pingle combo down with a torpedo heater running nearby. :suspect: :evil: :suspect: :evil: :suspect: :evil:

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

CBXRoger
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fuel Tap

Post by CBXRoger »

In the normal 'on' position, the fuel comes from an approx. 2 inch high tube. On my '82 CBX it will drain 4.5 gallons, leaving a gallon still in the tank. The reserve position drains from the bottom of the tank, instead of the standing tube. This should drain the last gallon of fuel.

In practice, I watch when the tank goes "empty" and I am required to switch to reserve. Dividing the miles traveled by 4.5 gallons, will tell you what your average miles per gallon are. That is also the numbers of miles remaining on the tank before total empty.
Freeways are boring. Back roads have character.

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Gas Tank

Post by DevonCbx »

Thanks for the info.

Duane

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”