Rear wheel bearing removal (prolink)

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rear wheel bearing removal (prolink)

Post by piit »

Hi, I need some advices with removal the bearings. I have only ´79 Shop manual and prolink wheels are a bit different. As expected right side bearing retainer was stucked after 25+ years and removed in several pieces (right tool was used). But now I need to know how to remove sleeve from hub side? After that I should have access to remove bearings, right?
Br. piit

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rear wheel bearing removal (prolink)

Post by Will »

piit wrote:Hi, I need some advices with removal the bearings. I have only ´79 Shop manual and prolink wheels are a bit different. As expected right side bearing retainer was stucked after 25+ years and removed in several pieces (right tool was used). But now I need to know how to remove sleeve from hub side? After that I should have access to remove bearings, right?
Br. piit
Are you talking about the bearing on the sprocket side that is behind a piece of aluminum? That piece of aluminum is threaded into the hub and then peened with a centerpunch prevent it from backing out. Some have drilled the area that is centerpunch to help it unscrew easier. There is a tool that will mate to the insert. Most don't have it (I've never seen one) and it's hard to maintain pressure and turn at the same time. Most use what is called a "nudging" tool, in the tool and die business. I don't know what it's called in the motorcycle business. Mine is looked like a big really dull chisel. That, a good hammer, and some sweat will back it out. It unscrews counter-clockwise.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Sent you an email with the prolink manual section for the rear wheel.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

cbx4evr, thanks a lot for the manual!
The manual did not say how to remove bearings from the wheel.
The situation now, I have removed brake disk, dust seal and retainer from the brake disk side, so I can see straight to the bearing.
From the driven sprocket side I have removed driven sprocket and driven flange, so I can see bearing as well.
So, my question still is that how do I remove the bearings from the wheel? There is no room to anykind of bearing remover in left or right side, so can I "press" from the disk side that bearings (and distance collar)come out from the hub side?
Br. piit[/b]

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

piit, I know George (CBXtacy) has done this procedure & hopefully he will be along soon ( a very busy man.) However, in everything I have read about wheel bearing removal, heat is applied to the hub. How you would go about that on a Comstar without damage would lead me to use a large oven or copious amounts of boiling hot water, prior to pressing out....
ICOA # 656

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Here's the deal: The collar you see in the space between the bearings may seem tight, but it will move laterally if you pry on it. Once you have a face of the collar exposed, you can use a piece of pipe for a driver and drive the opposite bearing out, with the collar. Then it's simple to turn around and drive out the other bearing from the back. They will pop right out.

Dave

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Excellent! Thanks Dave, that was exactly what I wanted to hear!!!
In my case collar is not stucked.
Thanks, piit

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi, bearings removed in 15mins. Thanks again Dave.
Cheers,piit

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Sorry that the manual didn't show how to remove the bearings. I suppose they think a mechanic should know that. If you look at it long enough eventually you pick up a hammer.

Go to your local bearing supply house and get the replacements there. Honda is expensive for a SKF bearing in a Honda box. My records show two 6304U and one 6305U in the rear wheel. I buy bearings that are sealed both sides. Careful knocking them in so you don't puncture the seal. Don't ask how I know.

My records show wheel seals are 34x55x9 (90753-283-000) and 30x45x9.5 (91253-286-013). May be able to get those from your bearing house too.

You mentioned you broke the bearing retainer. I haven't had too many problems removing them using my home made tool. Just put a pipe wrench on it and grunt them out. If you have problems finding them, not sure if they are still available, I have a new rotor side one that we could work something out on.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi cbx4evr, in my opinion shop manual should have information how to remove bearings. Maybe it is not mentioned because the hammer method is not so "nice/professional". Anyway I wanted to be sure how to do it because I already broke the retainer even with suitable tool. Retainer is quite fragile and my one was really stucked. I have ´79 rim and I can use its retainer in prolink rim. Bearings are very easy to find and I believe that seals as well.
Br. piit

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”