Petcock Seal leaking!!!!!!!!!!

wayne055
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Petcock Seal leaking!!!!!!!!!!

Post by wayne055 »

Hi All

This is my first time posting,I have a 79 cbx and have trouble with leaking seal in petcock.I have read somewhere you can replace after drilling out the riveted plate and tapping 3mm thread in place and use a seal from another model Honda(which i thought i had)but it wasn't so now the beast is off the road until i find the right seal.Can anyone help with info or the right part number.

Cheers Wayne
[/b]

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site Wayne.... :thumupp:

This link may help....

viewtopic.php?t=2659&highlight=petcock
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

or, if you like pretty, billet aluminum things-
http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

wayne055

Post by wayne055 »

Thanks guys

Its great to think i can get assistance overnight, the part is ordered and should fix the problem.
Wayne :lol:

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

That's why we're here :lol:
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Alright. Seems this problem comes up every now and then. Some years ago I downloaded some files off of the net addressing just this problem. They seem to have disappeared, or at least my Googling hasn't sourced them.

First the disclaimer. I did not write this procedure myself nor have I confirmed it or attempted it. I have not verified any dimensions, drill diameters or thread pitches. If you use the info it's at your own risk.

And if it works for you, as much as I like to receive heaping amounts of praise, I can't accept it in this case as it is not my work.

I put the info up on a web page temporarily. With me temporary can become permanent however I would suggest that you print out the info for future reference. Don't assume that bookmarking it will guarantee that it is there when you check the next time. I may have got energetic and tried to do something fancier in regard to the link.

Fly at it:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/cbx4evr/Fuel ... pet_1.html
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Excellent..... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Good form, Nick, good form! :wink:

sbbloom69
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 Petcock Gasket Again

Post by sbbloom69 »

Hi,
I did the petcock rivet-to-screw mod many years ago on my 79 CBX (back in 88, just before I drove it to Daytona my one and only time). Its time again (gas weeping from petcock, and I've already reversed the gasket in there now). I bought a 4-hole rubber gasket a while back, and as is usual for me, I LOST IT.

I've been re-reading the posts and rather than wait for another to come in, I'm going down to the closest bike shop (a Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, no Honda). I'm just going to get the closest gasket that will fit.

Can someone tell me, for sure whether the stock 79 petcock gasket is 20mm, 27mm, or 28mm in diameter? The "close" one, part number 16955-268-020, is supposed to be 20mm. Isn't this a little small? I know that all it has to do is seal the lever surface, the back surface, and the holes, but I've also read where someone tried this on a 79 and it didn't seal well.

If someone can't tell me the actual diameter, than I"ll probably just take mine apart and go down to the Kaw shop and see if they have one from a non-honda that will fit.

Other than the compatible Hondas (CA77, etc), anyone know if the same gasket has another Suzuki, Kawasaki, or Yamaha part number?

Stu
79CBX
73 CB350F
78 GS550

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Hello and welcome here, Stu :!: I don't know about any Kawasaki, Suzi or Yamaha part-number, but your CB350F has that very same "packing" in the petcock also.

CBXter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXter »

I just rebuilt two petcocks this week and they work great, you can get the gaskets on EBAY right now, I can't give you the item number right now because I'm at work and the server blocks EBAY, if you just do a search with "CBX" you'll get about 5 or so pages of items and there will be about 10 or so of just the gasket for sale. I'll have to look tomorrow for the tap size and screw size I used and get that to you. Steve

sbbloom69
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBCX Petcock

Post by sbbloom69 »

OK,
So, the 20mm gasket, part# 16955-268-020 definitely works on the 79. I'll order another, or go with that measurement to the bike shop.

Now I just have to change the tach, replace the fork seals, do a valve adjustment, sync the carbs, etc, and I"ll be all set!

Thanks,
Stu

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

J ust finished putting a new seal in the petcock for the '80 CBX. Couldn't find any 3mm screws so used a couple #6 machine screws with Allen Head's.... seems to work fine. Almost lost the little detent ball and spring though when taking apart!!!! Don't forget about those little buggers during diss-assembly.
Just has I finished that up a co-worker brought by his '83 1000 Custon for me to rebuild the brake calipers and a couple small other items. Bike has less than 20000Kms on it and looks GREAT! Just been sitting too long :cry: Has a seized choke cable and tach is very slow re-acting... may need a new one of those, not sure if it could be taken apart. Oh yeah... also a leaking fork seal.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”