81 SS Fairing on a 79?

sbbloom69
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

81 SS Fairing on a 79?

Post by sbbloom69 »

Hi,

I searched for this specific question, but couldn't find the answer, so I'll just ask:

I just got my 79 CBX running after 12 years of near-death and a bad alternator (the CBX, not me!). I bought the X in 83 when I was still in the Navy. My 79 will never be a museum queen, so I'm slowly bringing her back as a resto-mod / driver. It's a reliable driver now, after tires, brakes (cylinder rebuilds + pads), carbs (2 cleanings, yuch!), chain/sproket, alternator, regulator, etc.

I have access to a 81 Hondaline SS fairing. Its in good shape (fairing, mirrors, shield, upper and lower mounts for a 81 CBX) and cheap. It will need paint, but so does the tank/fender. The owner had it mounted on a Sabre, but said it originally came off a CBX (he has mount parts for both).

Will a 81/82 CBX or SS Hondaline fairing "bolt-on" to a 79? The mounts look to be a yoke/bar at the steering stem, and at the upper engine mount bolts at the bottom.

Will it fit up? Will I have to fabricate lower mount adapters?

I know, the 79 has smaller fork tubes... I'll have to deal with that. And I've read about the heavy weight of the stock CBX fairing and the affect on handling. I just want a slightly bigger fairing than my current cafe/bullet.

Stu
79 CBX
79 GS-550
73 CB350F

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Hi Stu! Welcome at the ICOA web-site! Where are you in NM?? I am still looking for a retirement place out there :roll:

I am not sure, whether the yoke of the 81/82 fairing bracket will mount to early (79 and 80) CBX frames. I thought the later frames have a hole behind the steering neck :? :?

sbbloom69
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

NM

Post by sbbloom69 »

Hi,
I'm in Northern New Mexico, Los Alamos to be exact. I have a riding buddy, Vince, who lives in Santa Fe (and Florida, my old stomping grounds). Vince prodded me into doing the final few repairs to my bike so we could start riding (thanks, Vince, I needed that). He has an 82 here in NM, and a 79 in Florida (he also has a pristine 69 CB750 K0, a CB500, a mint CX500 Turbo, and a Benelli Sei...drool, drool).

There are 2 82's for sale right now in Albuquerque. I'm trying to decide if I should continue to resto my 79 to a higher level, or maybe pick up a 82 stable mate.

I've actually been an ICOA member, off and on, since 1985 when I was still in the Navy. I rode my 79 from Charleston, SC to Daytona during the 1988 bike week. About 10 or 12 of us showed up. I rode my bike over the next years (I kept it with me during my Navy moves to CT and Hawaii). When I was driving it from GA (where I got out of the Navy) to NC, the regulator blew. The proverbial shorted alternator rotor. This was in 1995. I let the bike sit and degrade in NC, after I moved it here to NM in 1999. I started collecting parts for it 2004 and started working on it in 2006, when I met Vince. I did my first of 2 carb cleanings, rebuilt the brakes, got new tires. Everything but the alternator. I got the bike running (without alternator) in late 2006. I started collecting parts to do my own Jung Alternator mod, but found 2 parts alternators instead. I combined 3 alternators to make 1 good one. I pulled and cleaned the carbs once more and went to air-pods (I hate dropping the engine to put the airbox on!). She ran on her own in July 2007 for the first time since 1995.

I put a pretty decent rattle can paint job on the tank and body parts, mainly to see if I still wanted it red (I was thinking blue or yellow). My candy-glory red was almost pure silver from fading. I still like red. I'm pretty good with paint and body work, so I'll do that this summer. That's why I started looking for fairings. I have one of those cheap $50 Emgo cafe bullets right now. It's better than nothing, and I like the cafe look. I have an old Tracy fairing, but the movers broke the shield. Gustafson may have a new shield for it. We'll see.

I'm hoping to eye-ball an 81 or 82 side-by-side with my 79 to see if the fairing mount points measure out. If not, I'll see how easy it is to fab adapters.

Well, I've rambled long enough, I should probably get some more work done today. I'm just glad to be riding again.

Stu

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: NM

Post by EMS »

sbbloom69 wrote: Well, I've rambled long enough, Stu
YOU HAVE NOT, Stu, and I think I speak for all others here, when I say that :!: :!: I wish everybody who comes to the site would take the time and fill us in a little on his/her background like you did! A model post!
Welcome again! And anything we can do to help....Please ask!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site sbbloom69...... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

It looks like there's a hole in the frame that can be used to mount the CBX Pro Link fairing. It appears to be in the same place as the mount hole on the 81/82 but it doesn't stick out as far and it's threaded. For an alternative I've put one of these fairings on a 79X and was extremely happy with it
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycl ... l=hd%2d031
It provided almost as much protection as the prolink fairing and is much easier to mount and much lighter. I rode the bike I installed it on from San Diego to Salt Lake City in the fall with no problems. It's the National Cycle Plexistar 2 and you need to get a mounting kit for it also. If you look up their web site and look for an application for a 79CBX, it'll give you all the info needed. Good luck and my wife is driving into Santa Fe tonight with a friend and her daughter who just got out of the Air Force. They're staying for 2 days to do the tourist thing on the way to Colorado Springs so be careful, be very careful :D
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Welcome to the site sbbloom69.

(I'm frequently in New Mexico myself. I'm in Roswell, NM tonight.)

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”