Coating gas tank

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Coating gas tank

Post by DevonCbx »

Hi I am about to restore the inside of the tank with a 3 stage kit called "Kreem". The instructions are quite clear, but it does say to flush the tank with a degreaser or the coating will not stick. Now there was 4 year old gas in there. Being a 4 stroke motor., there was never any oil or grease in there. I am wondering if this is a concern.
Thanks Duane :D

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane,
The concerns would be waxy deposits & all other strange things left by old gasoline. It is also very important to remove old rust/flakes of rust & prepare internal the surface. Best way to do that is to tumble/rattle roofing nails for a long duration. The only long serving success you will have with Kreeme (or any other sealants) is preparation, preparation, preparation. Be absolutely meticulous....... :wink:
ICOA # 656

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'd chuck the Creme and go with POR-15. Much more complete kit and an absolutely indestructible liner. In fact, POR-15 makes a Creme remover to properly remove that failed lining. Go to their website and read all about it.

Dave

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

It ain't the destination, its the journey...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Thanks, Terry. It would have taken me half an hour to figure out how to paste the link.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I agree with Dave about not using Kreem. I had it in a GS1000 tank and in less than 3 years it had started to disintegrate. Made a mess of the carbs.
I had the tank professionally stripped and relined at a local rad shop for $100.00.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I had used the "full meal deal" POR15 kit on one of my tanks about 3 years ago. It still appears to be in perfect shape.

RudyF6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RudyF6 »

Is there a way to tell which was used in a tank that's already been done? The '81 I bought this year has a grey coating in the tank, and if it's the "Kreem", I might consider re-doing it BEFORE it becomes a problem.
You can never be lost if you don't care where you're going!

CBXter
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXter »

Don't know what color the Kreme leaves your tank, but I too have done the POR-15 kit and it worked really well, inside of tank looks brand new and it leaves a gray-silver color lining.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

If it looks like a light grey porcelean coating, there's a good chance it's kreem.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

rbarber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rbarber »

It has been said already, but I also recommend not using Kreem. I have a bike that had a "Kreemed" tank and it was terrible. The white/grey plastic-like stuff was everywhere.

tgraytn
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Kreemproducts.net

Post by tgraytn »

I have used KREEM in my bikes and have been extremely pleased. As mentioned in the other response, cleaning your tank prior to using the liner is the key. As a matter of fact, the cleaning step is as critical as the coating step.

I have also spoken to several "old timers" regarding sealing a tank and they all agreed that KREEM is a fantastic product. They have bikes that were coated with KREEM many years ago and they haven't had any problems. But of course all of them said the same thing... Theycleaned them well first.

If you visit www.kreemproducts.net you will find a "How To Video" on their home page along with a lot of information regarding their products.

Again, I have used KREEM and am very happy with it!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site tgraytn.... :thumupp: Looks like you like KREEM then.... :wink:
ICOA # 656

tgraytn

kreemproducts.net

Post by tgraytn »

Thanks alimey4u2. I am glad to be a part of the group. I just received my 1979 4 weeks ago and I Love It!

I am excited about the new www.kreemproducts.net website! The video is very much needed and the customer service that I received was unbeatable! Also, the product is awesome!

Thanks and happy CBX'ing...

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”