Spondon Engineering CBX

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Spondon Engineering CBX

Post by John S. (5594) »

Hi Folks,

While checking to see if anyone might be selling an OEM rubber strap for the 79/80 catch tank - I ran across this auction on eBay for a Spondon framed CBX - a beauty:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=9806

I seem to recall that Spondon CBX frame kits were available from a Stateside (California?) importer for ~$15k (not certain if they are still available though). With no solid idea as to what the fair market value of this motorcycle is - it would be interesting to hear some opinions.

One area of concern I would have are the import/registration issues. I started to research this for another UK bike last year but decided to pass before learning of the details (and cost) involved.

While bolting the CBX'x heavy outdated air-cooled six in a modern chassis may be questionable - it sure would be a blast to own and ride one of these creations - one unique "streetfighter" for sure.

All the best,

John
San Jose, California

PS - Did a quick search and found images of this particular bike on a number of sites (wouldn't be surprised to see it though). This - and the seller's profile make me wonder if this is a serious auction (and the misspelling of the seller's Cambridgeshire home town of Peterborough could be a typo afterall). Anyone know this bike and it's owner?

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Makes me want to ride.

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Only one bidder. It appears to be on it's way to Germany. GBP 9,750 works out to about 13,920 EUR for the buyer; the equivalent of $15,635 USD.

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

DIDN"T HIT RESERVE!
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

Fondahonda
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fondahonda »

Doh! You're so right. I somehow managed to overlook that little detail...

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

You could build one for less yourself. Spondon frames/swinging arms are $5,250 in the UK. More importantly you'd know your engine.
Ride safe, Richard

RIPPER
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RIPPER »

But that $5,250 is in Brittish pound Sterling so close to $10,000 U.S. dollars
Thanks RIPPER
FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE!

CBXzREG
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBXzREG »

No, $3,600 GBP, $5,250 usd. Spondon are still very much in business and still offer the frame. To me, its the most beautiful special frame made for the CBX.
Ride safe, Richard

mrivers@nycap.rr.com

Spardon Frame

Post by mrivers@nycap.rr.com »

Streetfighter-usa.com can build this bike for about $20,000. I first saw this very bike on the internet in 96 with an article by the owner on the build. At the end of the article the engine seized. Shortly after that I lost the site address and could not fine that site again. Picture of that bike are all over the place.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”