Spring tune up questions

DJ in Maine

Spring tune up questions

Post by DJ in Maine »

I heard Spring may get up here to Maine sometime this year, so I want to be ready to ride when the temp gets up to 32.
I have a 81 CBX with some problems I need to get around to addressing.
First, I have a loud noise that only occurs after the bike is warm and starts at about 5000 rpm. It doesn't sound like a bearing knock or piston slap. I'm thinking it might be the altenator plates, or maybe a really loose cam chain hitting something inside the motor? I'm going to try a manual cam chain adjustment. The bike runs fine except for the noise, so I keep the revs down, but thats no fun.
Next is a front end wobble while decelerating. New tires helped some, but I think I might need steering head bearings?
One other thing. The bike was getting really hard to start, especially if it sat for a while. Another CBXer suggested using an outboard motor gas bulb to force fuel into the carbs. It works but looks terrible, and its not the right fix. Any ideas?
Thanks for the help.
And please don't tell me how warm it is where you live.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Spring Tune-up

Post by EMS »

Without being able to hear it myself, I rather not offer a diagnosis on the source of your engine noice. For the front end wobble, you are on the right track. Also check the wheel bearings and the wheel alignment.
If you think, your cold start problem can be overcome with priming the carbs, install an electric fuel pump. While I have no experience with something like this on a CBX, I have done it on my carburetted KZ1300 and it works wonders there. It is a popular remedy for the notoriously hard-starting-when-cold bike. All it took was an electric fuel pump from a
junkyard out of a GPZ1100. Two leads. The hot wire into the ignition circuit. When the back pressure builds up because the float needle closes the seat, the pump shuts itself off.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”