How to lift a CBX??

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How to lift a CBX??

Post by BayArchitect »

What is the best method or tool to lift the front end for servicing front wheel/brake?[/quote]

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How to lift a CBX??

Post by Will »

BayArchitect wrote:What is the best method or tool to lift the front end for servicing front wheel/brake?
[/quote]

This works for me.

Put the bike on the centerstand.

Put a jack with a piece of wood on it under the front of the engine/oil filter.

Carefully jack up the front of the bike until the front wheel is clear of the floor.

This is precarious, so be careful.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

This weekend I installed new tires and had to do just that. I used my jack right behind the filter housing with a thick towel over the jack as it butted up against the drain plug area. Doesn't have to go up very high but make sure all bolts you want to remove are already loosened before jacking it up.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you have crash guards on the bike, but a jack under each corner. Will make the bike stand a little more stable. It has a tendency to get light on the legs of the centerstand when you lift it high enough to get the front wheel out and it may tip.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

Or once it's on the center-stand, you could put a fat kid with a playstationIII on the passenger seat. You might have to tie them down though to make sure they don't go to the fridge for nourishment while the front wheel is off. :roll: (sorry bayarchitech, I couldn't resist)
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

cbxtacy wrote:Or once it's on the center-stand, you could put a fat kid with a playstationIII on the passenger seat.

Note: Fat kid a lot easier to find than Playstation 3.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

FINAL REPORT: Lifting the CBX...

Post by BayArchitect »

I purchased a lightweight racing jack by U.S. General, 3000 lb load capacity, to lift the front end of the CBX from the bottom of the engine. Placed under the oil drain bolt, there was no interference, and it lifted the front end nicely to remove the front wheel and forks. Bike was on the centerstand during the entire procedure. Jack come equipped with a durable rubber insert to protect the object being lifted. Your exhaust system might require a different lifting method, or a block to be placed on the jack, but this worked well for me. Sometimes I need to lift the bike from the front, in which case, I use a slick unit purchased from the Ducati dealer, made in France by FG Special Parts. It has a U-shaped base with one upright and one arm, with a tip that will lift the bike from the bottom of the steering neck tube. A handle and bevel gear is located at the top of the upright to jack the arm up and down. This works on practically all bikes with a hole at the bottom of the steering neck tube. It is well-made, and pricey, but worth every cent--like your Snap-On wrenches. It's also beautiful. Info on the jack: FG Special Parts di Gubellini Franco:
www.fgspecialparts.it
Hope this helps someone.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Looks like quality kit, many Thanks...... 8)

http://www.fgspecialparts.it/cavalletti_anteriori.htm

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks for the correct address...

Post by BayArchitect »

Thanks for the correct address. I meant to identify the model. It's CA-04. Very nice.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

This together with my new front wheel support does a fine job of raising the rear of the bike. Note: I don't have a centerstand due to my swinging arm underbrace but I'm sure one could be made to fit. Now I don't have to remove my pipes ( replacing my centerstand) to do any rear end work..... 8) It connects on the rear lower frame cross member....

Not painted as yet so please forgive me, also; not my welding..... :oops:

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: FINAL REPORT: Lifting the CBX...

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

BayArchitect wrote:I purchased a lightweight racing jack by U.S. General, 3000 lb load capacity, to lift the front end of the CBX from the bottom of the engine. Placed under the oil drain bolt, there was no interference,
I do the same with a $10 Sears bottle jack and a pieces of 1-inch plywood.

The slick method is to use a cherry picker (engine hoist) with a couple straps, and pull the front off the ground by the handle bars.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: FINAL REPORT: Lifting the CBX...

Post by EMS »

Mopar_Tony_SF1 wrote:.. and pull the front off the ground by the handle bars.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Here's my solution to front end lift. Built this to use for storage.

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Niice one cbx4evr........ 8)

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”