Busted centerstand eyes!!!

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Busted centerstand eyes!!!

Post by bobber »

:cry:

Went to clean the '82 CBX today to get ready for winter storage. Washed and polished then went to move off centerstand when noticed it was falling to the right. First thought may off been sinking in the pavement but then discovered the centerstand was falling off. Upon getting it back in shed discovered the right side ear that the stand main rod slides thru was snapped off!!!! And its part of the main frame!!!!

I always put the bike on its centerstand with me off and most of the time take it off the stand before getting on.

Anyone have the same thing happen? For a fix I'm thinking of getting some 3/4" washers welded on the inside of whats left to the ear. I'll have to cut the thickness of the washer from the centerstand. Ideas?????

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I'm sure the washer idea will work well as long as they are of good quality steel, professionally welded.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:shock: Mmmmmh! Heard of early centerstands breaking, but never of this problem. A skilled welder should be able to fix this, though.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Centerstand fix

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Mike,

I am not sure how your centerstand broke but I uploaded pics of one of mine that cracked/broke. I also uploaded a pic of the fixed centerstand. I did it to all my CBXs as a precaution.

Should be in the picture album section.

Cheers, Tom

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Centerstand

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Mike,

After rereading your post, I think I understand. The mounting tab on the frame broke. Wow, not sure how I would fix that. The washer idea will work. Can the original mount be rewelded?

While it's off, check it for cracks like mine had.

Good luck, Tom

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

First of all it was the left side which broke... I was laying under the machine backwards when I first posted.

Put the washer in there yesterday. Had to remove the thickness of the washer from the centerstand mounting bore. Seems to be a fix. Put it up on the stand a couple of times with no issue. Thinking about if it let go while on the road and its giving me the sweats! Not something I would want to get mixed up with a rotating rear tire..... bad scene.

Did put the broken peice back in but theres not enough material to weld by itself. About 3/16" wide and 1/8" thick.... so welded it to the washer as well.

Clean the mounts people and check them. I've done visuals on mine before when cleaning but more so to check hoses and grease the Pro-Link arms. There's usually grease and grim down there so never REALLY looked at the ears, or had a reason too.

When I was bringing it into the shed the stand was rubbing against the tire and bouncing, working against the return spring, so again the thought of it getting caught up with a high speed rotating rear tire scares me.

Trying to figure out what happened. Spent a couple of weeks in a campground and used the bike to scoot around Edmonton. The ground was, well, dirt so I would put the bike up on a piece of 1" board so it wouldn't sink. It was a chore to get it up there so thinking the extra stress caused it?

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

If you need a new CBX centerstand I have plenty. Email me at www.usedcbxparts.com Thanks Louis

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”