My CBX 1000Z ´79 engine type?

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

My CBX 1000Z ´79 engine type?

Post by piit »

Hi, in every CBX pictures that I have seen the front cam chain tensioner screw/lock nut are located on below of "tap". In my CBX the screw and lock nut are ahead of "tap". Could someone tell me what does that mean? There is a hole on below the tap and filled by some material (soft like a silicone/rubber). I have a picture in hard disk, but could not insert it here. Thanks, Pete

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Type of CBX1000Z engine

Post by piit »

Pic added in CBX Photos category.

CBX NT
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by CBX NT »

Hi Pete

I believe someone has placed the bolt in the wrong hole. Reasons why? May have stripped the threads in the proper hole. I'm only guessing at that, As unable to fully look at it.

But if correct, not sure on what damage it could do.

I hope you dont mind me adding the pic

Adam

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi Adam,

I believe too that the bolt is in wrong hole, but cannot understand how the tensioner works. Anyway I will change the cam joints, so together I will check the tensioner situation. Thanks for the picture addition!

Cheers,

Pete

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

the tensioner slides on a shaft that rides in the hole that the bolt is in. Normally there is a seal in the end of the hole that your bolt is in. The bolt with locknut that keeps the shaft from moving is usually screwed in from the bottom of the protrusion. Good luck.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

ok, so needs to be cautious when adjusting the screw avoid to cam chain over tighten.

Related to above; if the spring is now for some reason out of the game (weak) how I can be sure that what is the correct tightness of the chain when adjusting it?

Cheers,

Petri

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

The concept is for the shaft connected to the adjuster to protrude and slide inside the gally of the boss on the head. The lock bolt on the bottom is used to put pressure on the shaft after it has been adjusted and hold it in place.

Adjustment on a normal setup is done by loosening the cinch bolt letting the shaft self adjust by its on spring tension, (tip) use a small blunt punch that fits the shaft gally and very lightly tap it to ensure its free. Or remove the valve cover and take a pair of long nose locking pliers and clamp on the adjuster shaft and watch for it to move when you loosen the locking bolt.

Fix it the correct way. Rethread the bottom hole with a timesert or helicoil.

Now for the top hole, it more than likely has been enlarged due to the taping for the locking bolt, I believe you could epoxy that shut and drill it out to the proper diameter for shaft to slide freely and the rubber coated brass plug to seal Okay.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”