56%

Total votes: 9

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

82 CBX windshield pressure relief cut-outs

Post by SS »

Hi Gang

Just received a new clearview shield (like the taller model Tim's sold) it doesn't have the pressure relief cut-outs. (the cat eye look) 8)

I need your opinions, if you have owned/used/ridden with this set up (with cat eye cut-outs).

ClearView is willing to remake the shield with the cut-outs.

The questions are : :?:

1: do the cut-outs help with reducing the heated air behind the fairing :?:
Summer is coming soon and with 90-100 degree temps, I'd like any cooling help I can get (both & high & low speeds)

2: I'm a 5' 10" rider, will the cut-outs in conjunction with the taller shield reduce helmet buffeting.
Or the cut-outs only effect the negative air cooling behind the shield :?:

I'm inclined to have the shield remade.
SS

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

01 XL1200C 83 CB1100F 82 CBX 80 CBX

so far!!!!!!!!!!

Davey

Cut outs.

Post by Davey »

I've got a Clearview on my 82, but it's two inches taller than the one from Tims. It has the cut outs. Rode it today for about 130 miles and was playing with the vents, trying to feel where the air went etc. Seems to fade away pretty quick once you move your hand back from the hole. Will try it again tomorrow with some masking tape and cover them to see if I can tell the difference. My thought while riding today was an eyebrow of some sort protruding forward slightly to try and "grab" some more air. REally quiet behind the shield. Got a Shoei RF 200, not the quietest around, but behind the Clearview it's really nice. Riding with the face sheild up, it would close at about 55 mph. With this tall one, it was still up at a ton. I'm 5'9" tall and the bike has a Corbin seat so I sit an inch lower that normal. I look through the top inch of the screen

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SS »

Davey, thanks for your input, let me know how things go with the cut outs taped
SS

so far!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Clearview Windshield Cut outs.

Post by Dave Ditner »

Wednesdsay I folded some paper towels that I could fit into and remove from the cut outs while riding. Temp was about 80 so it wasn't real hot, but in steady speed tests at 15, 20, 30, 45, and 60 mph I couldn't see any difference with the paper towels in the slots or not. The windshield is pretty rounded and I was getting good airflow all the time. As I said in my earlier post, I could only feel the air by hand for a distance of a couple of inches away from the cut outs. It appears that the cut outs are in a real dead zone of the winshield.
Yesterday I got caught out in the rain and did about 50 miles or so of wet weather riding. :( Even very little water came through the slots. They look nice (a matter of opinion probably), but clearly don't do much. I may play around and make some "eyelids" that extend outward to see what they do. If it weren't such a pain in the ass I'd tuft the windshield to see just how much of it is really "dead"
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

SS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by SS »

Dave:

I really appreciate your input, and the fact your very thorough in the research area.

My question would be, if you were buying the windshield "again" would

you chose the cut outs? or opt for none?

Thanks
SS

so far!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Cutouts Would I again?

Post by Dave Ditner »

That's a tough question to answer. Personallly, I like the look of them. But, they significantly weaken the area above them in case it gets hit or something like that. I see no flutter in the windshield, so in "normal operation" they don't hurt. They are 5 inches long and about 1 1/4 inches wide at their widest point and are located along the fold line. have you seen them? Don't know what I'd do if I had to pay shipping back to Colorado to get them cut. I have 3 Clearveiws, all with the cut outs, the real tall one and two 2inches shorter. Will probably shorten the tall one an inch. I look through the top and there is a little optical distortion and it bugs me somewhat. Sitting higher in the seat to simulate material removal has very little effect on noise level, and I rate that damn good. Only better I have seen is the Rifle, and I don't like the looks of that. I have tried a Spec II and one from the outfit in St. Augustine Florida that weren't near as good. :?
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Joe

Windhields

Post by Joe »

I did a little experimenting on my '81, & here is my 2 cents...
I'm 5-9, my 81 has low bars. stock seat.
With the stock shield I had a lot of wind noise, so I put on a Sabre shield, and had about the same noise, so I put in some big cut outs... really made little or no difference.... SO I cut the entire lip off the screen... now it's great, the wind noise is much reduced, my head is in the clear air.

Joe

Windhields

Post by Joe »

I did a little experimenting on my '81, & here is my 2 cents...
I'm 5-9, my 81 has low bars. stock seat.
With the stock shield I had a lot of wind noise, so I put on a Sabre shield, and had about the same noise, so I put in some big cut outs... really made little or no difference.... SO I cut the entire lip off the screen... now it's great, the wind noise is much reduced, my head is in the clear air.

Return to “X ...OTHER TECHNICAL: Won't Run, Centerstands, Chains, Fairings, Tanks, Gauges, Petcocks, Seats, Turn Signals, etc.”